08/20 - Artificial Intelligence Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles2357

Reaction score
A few thoughts for the night crew on topics driving some people wild:
1) Amazon will NEVER ban scripts. Their currently policy is EXACTLY correct. They officially require that all hits are done via "human intelligence", while also "allowing" scripts without explicitly allowing any and every script. They are selling "human intelligence" to requesters, and will rightfully ban anyone who is identified as using mechanical means to fully complete hits. But they perfectly well know that all "worker customers" who are earning Amazon the most money are using "scripts" in multiple ways, and performing real work to the satisfaction of requesters. In effect, they know that workers who write scripts are working on speculation, doing the work that mturk and the requesters don't do. In any case, there is no way even in principle to explicitly state what counts as a "script" or to identify who is using such, unless all hits are basically Inquisit hits. (If requesters want Inquist, they can PAY FOR INQUISIT.)
2) Auto-accepting hits sounds good if you really don't know what you are talking about. In certain very limited cases it can work, especially if others are not doing it. But even a little thought reveals that auto-accepting hits can quickly create new problems of its own. For instance, I am in the SurveyComet Political Prediction study, with a weekly $16 hit that I'll spend maybe an hour on (mostly browsing news) since they suggest that you'd better spend that much time. Do I want that auto-accepted? Absolutely not! I do it when I am confident I have an hour or so and am in the mood for it. Auto-accepting hits can quickly fill your queue with far more than you can do, and you will then NEVER be able to do the hits you fail to do. There is NEVER going to be a KILLER script or tool that allows workers to avoid using their own intelligence in playing the mturk game. There might seem to be in the short term, but that is illusion.
3) Academic requesters are not going to abandon mturk due to fear of bots. Maybe a few will. Most will go to other platforms, that we already know about or will discover! (But bots can join Prolific too...) The current structure of academia rewards publication count in promotion and retention, and this means that academics must continually churn out papers, and for those in the psych and social sciences this means that they must continually accumulate new data sets. By far the easiest way to do this is by online studies, and mturk is the dominant platform for this, and for all online spot work.

In short: many mturkers are clueless, many requesters are clueless, and some experienced mturkers (like on reddit) intentionally spread disinformation.

<Gucci>

Francis Manancis ...fuck you...
Threaderator
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I have no complaints with MTC.
Then again I do have a sign on my door at my irl office that says the complaint department is closed.

I have no idea who started this topic but yolo. I love mtc. I’m here to stay.
I don’t post hits anymore because I usually log on to talk shit for a little while and take a break from turking
The summer is always slow.
:mooning:

MarkC

Stay awhile and listen.
Contributor
Reaction score
I like that we don't have to chose one, but I like to follow both daily threads (time permitting ofc). But yeah I post on MTC and I feel like you guys are my peeps.

desallemands

Reaction score
Sure. Hit the adwatcher button next to pause, add the group id and hit ok. to catch a hit, you have to click on the buttons in your hit. it will play a sound if you hit the sound button too and they will both be green when looking for the hit. HTH>

can someone please tell me how to add a group id to hit catcher? i can figure it out for PC but not HC - THANK YOU!!

Reactions: jmr and <Gucci>

<Gucci>

Threaderator
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Zach eberhart doesn’t look bad. Cherry pick.
Lol I’m on my cell phone. So I can’t see dem TO’s

Reactions: jklmnop

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
There is NEVER going to be a KILLER script or tool that allows workers to avoid using their own intelligence in playing the mturk game. There might seem to be in the short term, but that is illusion.
I gotta quote this, too (took a minute to read through). There is no magic money button for mturk. Hard work and smart work will always result in a better daily than simple reliance on any one script.

That said, scripted tools for crowdwork are more sophisticated today than they were a year ago, and a year from now they will be more sophisticated than they are today. It is the nature of the work, and you either keep up or give up. Tbh if you start doing this work and you find you like scripting, customizing, working w/ web pages, you are waaaaay better off in the long run learning how to code in some Javascript frameworks or Python than turking. Figure out how turking can fit into your proactive, long-term goals, not your short-term reactive life.

And while you're at it pls find me another 4 hours in every day because I am behind on my damn IT and Python studies this summer...

jmr

Reaction score
Sure. Hit the adwatcher button next to pause, add the group id and hit ok. to catch a hit, you have to click on the buttons in your hit. it will play a sound if you hit the sound button too and they will both be green when looking for the hit. HTH>
wow, i'm an idiot. just realized i've been trying to add these to hit finder, not catcher - thank you so much!!

<Gucci>

Threaderator
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
wow, i'm an idiot. just realized i've been trying to add these to hit finder, not catcher - thank you so much!!
(Side note) in hit catcher you can rename the panda to say whatever you want.
Yes when mine catches the panda it says asshole 3$. :LOL:
It’s a fun feature.

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score

what staff?

all staff are gone.

Jaded's getting a job?
Electrolyte contributes in bullshit articles that claim bots are running rampant on Turk and people only make pennies on the platform.
Ave/Kryss are living their lives.

Doubt the mods have any interest of buying and maintaining the forum

I ignore most of the forum, the daily thread is a mix of the 30 cool, interesting, entertaining people that were here when I started and /r/mTurk

It just sucks that this place isn't what it used to be :bag:

obligatory:
:fire:

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
It’s a fun feature.
That reminds me that when I get up early tomorrow I need to turn on my watcher that I named "Sucky mini-Zoltars SMH"

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
It’s a fun feature.
I think I'll start naming all of mine "You're lovely." I'll get a compliment every time I catch a HIT.

:bike2:

desallemands

Reaction score
Don't feel bad. I had to reinstall my entire MTS, etc. I did not know why it was not catching hits. I had to do it by myself. Feel free to ask ANY questions. Lots of good peeps here to help you :)

desallemands

Reaction score
Ok I see in HC where you can rename it anything BUT, how can you add the other information below ?

Requester Name:
Requester Id:
Title:
HIT Set Id:
Reward:
Duration:
Requirements:

What does the checkbox ONCE do ?

It’s a fun feature.

Reactions: <Gucci>

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I think I'll start naming all of mine "You're lovely." I'll get a compliment every time I catch a HIT.

:bike2:
With all the discussion going on today about people abandoning MTC and how different MTC is now...

I have to point out that you were one of the first people that really stood out to me on MTC when I first joined 2.5 years ago, because you were always very kind and would post delightful posts late at night, just like this one.

Last edited:

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Ok I see in HC where you can rename it anything BUT, how can you add the other information below ?

Requester Name:
Requester Id:
Title:
HIT Set Id:
Reward:
Duration:
Requirements:

What does the checkbox ONCE do ?
Use once to catch a HIT just once (e.g., a survey) and deselect it to catch multiple HITs from the same batch.

Reactions: MarkC and <Gucci>

A6_Foul_Out

I only use Organic TurkerView reviews
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
With all the discussion going on today about people abandoning MTC and how different MTC is now...

I have to point out that you were one of the first people that really stood out to me on MTC when I first joined 2.5 years ago, because you were always very kind and would post delightful posts late at night, just like this one.
TotalBabe @TotalBabe is a TotalBabe @TotalBabe

:angelic:

Status
Not open for further replies.