Status
Not open for further replies.

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I think I put an e in and I shouldn't have. It should read niggly
I do know the etymology of the other word. I don't use it anymore (but I understand what you are saying). I remember talking about it in a class I was teaching years ago. I brought it up to students because I had heard of another Professor being fired for using it (unfair, I know).
It's the way of the world, though.....
A few of my colleagues got in trouble for language use in the classroom, which is about when I decided teaching wasn't for me. I used to use a lot of targeted material (intro English and Research classes) that used heavy language. I didn't want to censor the material I was using, or get called into an office to be scolded.

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, idk. You are right (I just looked it up - the etymology). It doesn't sound like the other word.....so I'm guessing in public I wouldn't be called out for it.
Interesting. I'm taking that under advisement :)
I think that being called out for it would depend more on the situation and location, rather than the actual definition.
plus, even though it means cheap, there's also the fact that neg means negative, black, [nec - death], negro is black in all of hte romantic languages, etc

jan

Reaction score
A few of my colleagues got in trouble for language use in the classroom, which is about when I decided teaching wasn't for me. I used to use a lot of targeted material (intro English and Research classes) that used heavy language. I didn't want to censor the material I was using, or get called into an office to be scolded.
One of my students said, There you go again, using the big words
when I said a not really big word: Optimal.
(sigh.....this was a college student)

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Well, idk. You are right (I just looked it up - the etymology). It doesn't sound like the other word.....so I'm guessing in public I wouldn't be called out for it.
Interesting. I'm taking that under advisement :)
I don't have a dog in this debate but as a point of information my father was a councilman and was on record at a meeting using 'niggly' to describe a village employee being lazy.

It was less than 2 weeks until my dad was recalled from the council for using racist language...and that was 25 years ago.

FYI, my dad IS a huge racist and I know exactly why he uses that word. He has used it at me enough times. It makes me cringe.

That said, I also believe intent of the use is a major factor. If you say that you didn't intend it as a racial slur I totally believe you.

Last edited:

jan

Reaction score
Hit finder so quiet. :(

I wonder if Wal-Mart put the back to school items on clearance yet.
I wait for Target (for us, their clearance won't start until Sept 17 or so). Last year, I picked up a couple of BOXES of notebooks at 90% off and donated them to her school (each one was 7cents). Her advisor already emailed and asked me if I can find them again

CrazyCatLady

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Car shopping, online information and price expectation | Accept
Requester: Guofang Huang [AP9FM2YPXLJ6X] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay=3.00] [Fast=1.00] [Comm=1.00] [Fair=1.00] [Reviews=4] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=34.29] [Pen=0.52 days] [Res=null] [Rec=50%] [Rej=1] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 300
Available: 1
Description: This survey asks a few questions about your car-shopping experience
Qualifications: Car Owner EqualTo 1; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 80; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Short timer that is 5 minutes. Takes like a minute to do[/td][/tr]

Last edited:

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Title: Car shopping, online information and price expectation | Accept
Requester: Guofang Huang [AP9FM2YPXLJ6X] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay=3.00] [Fast=1.00] [Comm=1.00] [Fair=1.00] [Reviews=4] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=34.29] [Pen=0.52 days] [Res=null] [Rec=50%] [Rej=1] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 300
Description: This survey asks a few questions about your car-shopping experience
Qualifications: Car Owner EqualTo 1; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 80; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Short timer. 5 minutes.[/td][/tr]
I almost did this, seeing that it has green TO, but then I looked at the rejection ratings...Not sure HOW it is green?

CrazyCatLady

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I wait for Target (for us, their clearance won't start until Sept 17 or so). Last year, I picked up a couple of BOXES of notebooks at 90% off and donated them to her school (each one was 7cents). Her advisor already emailed and asked me if I can find them again
Yes! I'm needing to pick up some notebooks and binders for my college classes that start Wednesday. They're all online so I'm trying to make sure I'm organized. I think I can easily get unorganized with online classes lol

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Yes! I'm needing to pick up some notebooks and binders for my college classes that start Wednesday. They're all online so I'm trying to make sure I'm organized. I think I can easily get unorganized with online classes lol
yesss, it's super easy. I suggest using OneNote for research papers, it makes it SO MUCH easier to keep track of different sources.

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Academic survey on financial decisions(~ 8 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Arnoud Plantinga [A2R475JG8BRZJB] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$20.90] [Pay=4.63] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.83] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=26] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=9.87] [Pen=2.00 days] [Res=null] [Rec=0%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.20
Duration: 1800
Description: An academic study requiring you to describe a situation and answer questions on financial decisions
Qualifications: Exc: [-992655955-102890] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90; Location In US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
:B[/td][/tr]

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Academic survey on financial decisions(~ 8 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Arnoud Plantinga [A2R475JG8BRZJB] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$20.90] [Pay=4.63] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.83] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=26] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=9.87] [Pen=2.00 days] [Res=null] [Rec=0%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.20
Duration: 1800
Description: An academic study requiring you to describe a situation and answer questions on financial decisions
Qualifications: Exc: [-992655955-102890] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90; Location In US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
:B[/td][/tr]
bucktooth vampire?

Status
Not open for further replies.