07/18 - Willpower Wednesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles2357

Reaction score
Turking with toddlers really is a whole different experience. $30 is fantastic if you can keep any kind of sanity! Mine are 2 and 4, and I homeschool, so this was our first summer full of "camps" and out of the house activities that I didn't schedule and didn't revolve around me. :p Hence why I've been on until day change, lately. It's also been my highest grossing year, yet :dead:
Any ideas on how to convince someone to homeschool? The mother of my nephews is not really favorable to that plan... I'd happily play my part.

Reactions: <Gucci>

Jayce

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Reaction score
That, too. I have a low goal of $10/day because the only time I can Turk uninterrupted is when my toddler is napping. Anything more than that is gravy. The last week or so I've been getting $30ish/day which is good for me, but crap for others.
Yes. My goal is either 15$ a day or like 25 individual "goodish" HITs.
Lately I have not been getting that though, I'm starting to get to an AMT peak threshold I guess. Everything just seems so goddamn boring and not worth it..

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Any ideas on how to convince someone to homeschool? The mother of my nephews is not really favorable to that plan... I'd happily play my part.
Do you know why she doesn't favor it? I'm a former elementary teacher, so I've been on both sides. I really don't think one is definitively "better" than the other. I just picked what worked for me :)

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Would anyone like to make tomorrow's thread?

Michele

Working on degree in Moon
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Short Quiz and Decision Task with bonuses (10-30 minutes) | Accept
Requester: NYUAD Social Science Experimental Laboratory [A3MLE3J148741L] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$11.47] [Pay=4.00] [Fast=null] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.64] [Fast=4.00] [Comm=3.00] [Fair=4.00] [Reviews=12] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=18.00] [Pen=2.00 days] [Res=null] [Rec=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 3600
Available: 1
Description: This contains a short quiz and some experimental games with bonuses (10-30 minutes)
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Starslip

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Your reactions to a firm's behavior ($0.5 for 3') | PANDA
Requester: Pavlos [A1C8FI1CHDNU5O] (Req TV): N/A
(TO): [Pay: 4.80] [Fair: 4.60] [Comm: 4.80] [Fast: 4.60]
Description:
You are currently looking for a job and you just found out about a firm's pattern of CSR engagement. Evaluate this pattern of CSR engagement
Time: 7 minutes(s)
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.50
Qualifications: Masters Exists ;

2 mins, short timer

Achilles2357

Reaction score
Do you know why she doesn't favor it? I'm a former elementary teacher, so I've been on both sides. I really don't think one is definitively "better" than the other. I just picked what worked for me :)
She's a former elementary teacher too, and also connected with elites who she thinks do things the "proper" way. She also maintains that homeschoolers are all crazy, even if I know that her experience does not support this. She thinks that homeschooling will leave her children socially inept, despite my repeated assertions that she is actually far better at guiding their social skills than their future public school teachers.

<Gucci>

Francis Manancis ...fuck you...
Threaderator
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
She's a former elementary teacher too, and also connected with elites who she thinks do things the "proper" way. She also maintains that homeschoolers are all crazy, even if I know that her experience does not support this. She thinks that homeschooling will leave her children socially inept, despite my repeated assertions that she is actually far better at guiding their social skills than their future public school teachers.
Well the Duggars certainly didn’t help the homeschooling image. Lol
Homeschooling is hard work.
Hey DareAngel3 @DareAngel3 do homeschooled kids have to take all those mcats or Fcats?
Just curious. & do you have a choice about common core math?

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I hear the social thing most often. It's valid, in a way. I taught in the inner city and there are some lessons that are learned that teachers don't teach. But I make full use of all of our community's camps- toddler time, science camp, swim lessons, nature conservatory, tumbling, train conductor camp, zoo buddies, etc etc... so we get lots of group interaction and hand-raising and line-forming and all of those things people assume home-school kids miss out on. I actually enrolled us in a co-op this year, so every Friday there will be a group of community members rotating through supplementary group lessons in a variety of subjects.

If anything, to do it justice, I think homeschooling is 20x the work all invested into your kid, instead of your "mandated" curriculum and district-prepared activities spread across 30. But there are also box-kits and sit-your-kid-in-front-of-a-screen types of homeschooling, and I don't think those are beneficial at all.

<Gucci> @<Gucci> Illinois is awesome, we have virtually no rules. So no, I hand pick all of my curriculum and don't have to worry about standardized testing or anything like that. I choose to follow all of our state standards that the public school kids do- one, because I have them memorized :ROFL: and two, because I want my kids to be able to seamlessly integrate if something were to come up. So I make sure we're hitting the standardized milestones. I just add my own flair :dance:

Last edited:

<Gucci>

Threaderator
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I hear the social thing most often. It's valid, in a way. I taught in the inner city and there are some lessons that are learned that teachers don't teach. But I make full use of all of our community's camps- toddler time, science camp, swim lessons, nature conservatory, tumbling, train conductor camp, zoo buddies, etc etc... so we get lots of group interaction and hand-raising and line-forming and all of those things people assume home-school kids miss out on. I actually enrolled us in a co-op this year, so every Friday there will be a group of community members rotating through supplementary group lessons in a variety of subjects.

If anything, to do it justice, I think homeschooling is 20x the work all invested into your kid, instead of your "mandated" curriculum and district-prepared activities spread across 30. But there are also box-kits and sit-your-kid-in-front-of-a-screen types of homeschooling, and I don't think those are beneficial at all.

<Gucci> @<Gucci> Illinois is awesome, we have virtually no rules. So no, I hand pick all of my curriculum and don't have to worry about standardized testing or anything like that. I choose to follow all of our state standards that the public school kids do- one, because I have them memorized :ROFL: and two, because I want my kids to be able to seamlessly integrate if something were to come up. So I make sure we're hitting the standardized milestones. I just add my own flair :dance:
My hat is off to you.
You seriously rock!! :love:
(I have to sign a waiver about common core math lol)

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
My hat is off to you.
You seriously rock!! :love:
(I have to sign a waiver about common core math lol)
:love:
I know some states have a lot more restriction. I was really surprised at our lack of regulation. Thankful, but really really surprised lol

<Gucci>

Threaderator
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
:love:
I know some states have a lot more restriction. I was really surprised at our lack of regulation. Thankful, but really really surprised lol
Lol I have another random school question for you. I hope that’s okay.
What do you think of private school in general?

(Mine is still a toddler. They want to interview us and he has to go to like piano lessons and have teacher recommendations by the time he’s 3. A bit ridiculous. Lol
Here’s the spot I’m split about
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranbrook_Schools. )

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Lol I have another random school question for you. I hope that’s okay.
What do you think of private school in general?

(Mine is still a toddler. They want to interview us and he has to go to like piano lessons and have teacher recommendations by the time he’s 3. A bit ridiculous. Lol
Here’s the spot I’m split about
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranbrook_Schools. )
:wideyed: Wow, that seems so fancy!
We don't have anything like that around here. Our version of "private" is really just a local church alternative to public school. So I can't speak from personal experience. But in general, private schools get to make their own rules- so if you support what the board of directors and teachers and parents are all about, and read the handbook and are in agreement with all of that, then you're probably good to go. They tend to exert a lot more preference, because they can. But that's great if you're with them and constricting if you're against them. It's all what fits for you! At the elementary stage, it's all about what your expectations are for discipline and how much "extra" stuff you want above the minimum. And reputation, of course. But if most of their students turn into Ivy-Leagues, they've obviously got that part down pat! :ROFL:
Edit: also, send me there, because the architecture is gorgeous!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.