07/17 - Tang Fish Tuesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Does anyone have a theory on how turk went in the shitter for the summer? I mean slow is one thing but I'm making less now than I was during January.
summer vacation + requesters launching their own platforms or working on others.

I think the money is still out there but it has shifted locations.

AI is fucking up our lives, though. Not much sentiment scoring/machine learning type hits as what there used to be. Algorithms and AI are getting better at it so they don't need us plebs anymore.

hockeyfan87

Reaction score
Killing time doing the Amazon Labeling Bounding Boxes HITs, when I get one for confetti.... do I mark all of it as multiple objects, or single? I went with multiple, we'll see what happens. I ain't drawin' a box around every little single bit of paper!

Reactions: Peachy

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
It might feel a little less soul-crushing too. Probably a tad easier since your kid is getting older too (my 2nd is almost 2 now as well). I think over the rest of the summer I'm going to focus on reducing expenses, since my husband and I tend to overspend on junk (hello Prime day) and food, and I'd like to be more flexible with where we live (eventually downsizing to a smaller house in a better area).
rural towns with good internet is where its at. Property is insanely cheap in areas like that...especially if you troll the obituaries and look for estates for sale.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
rural towns with good internet is where its at. Property is insanely cheap in areas like that...especially if you troll the obituaries and look for estates for sale.
make sure you count transportation costs because public transit is nonexistent and it's almost definitely too far to walk anywhere

Reactions: theturkscribe

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Full time employed only! Authenticity, Personality, and Work-Life Satisfaction PART 1 | Accept
Requester: SmithOscar [AKL99MZHRN058] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$17.45] [Pay=4.03] [Fast=4.25] [Comm=4.00] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.25] [Fast=4.82] [Comm=4.75] [Fair=4.98] [Reviews=80] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=5.89] [Pen=0.36 days] [Res=0%] [Rec=86%] [Rej=0] [ToS=1] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.10
Duration: 3600
Available: 65
Description: Authenticity, Personality, and Work-Life Satisfaction PART 1
Qualifications: jram EqualTo 1; Already taken DoesNotExist
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.3.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
QQQ[/td][/tr]

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Schools are what I'm thinking about too... there are so many bad schools out there :/
I am thinking about online schooling for my little guy. Public schooling has ruined my 13 year old.

A buddy of mine, who is a journalist, had posted a story about studies showing home schooled children are just as socially adept as children that attend school outside the home. It helped put my wife and I at ease with the decision.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Probably the only downside of living in a small town is the fact that if you want to do something you're probably going to have to drive a bit.
can confirm. pretty much anything other than walmart is at least a half hour to 45 minutes away

Reactions: Sondi and klyde

jan

Reaction score
make sure you count transportation costs because public transit is nonexistent and it's almost definitely too far to walk anywhere
and entertainment. It's hard to get to places to do things. We're close to Western MA (a few minutes) and a bunch of cities, but even so............I wish we were closer to Boston.

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I am thinking about online schooling for my little guy. Public schooling has ruined my 13 year old.

A buddy of mine, who is a journalist, had posted a story about studies showing home schooled children are just as socially adept as children that attend school outside the home. It helped put my wife and I at ease with the decision.
I'm concerned about being able to handle homeschooling from a mental health perspective... but online schooling might be a good option - I'll keep that in mind. PA is a really bad state for it though since it's highly regulated.

I was home schooled and I'm not socially adept, but my older sister is a very socially adept lawyer, so YMMV haha

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
2 minutes, can only do once:

Title: Evaluation of Context Words-PR | Accept
Requester: Semantica [A1VT3LKEV4DSIO] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay=5.00] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=3] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.50
Available: 4
Description: Evaluate context words (to be explained).
Qualifications: Masters Exists ; Total approved HITs GreaterThan 50; Location EqualTo US

jan

Reaction score

I think for a lot of kids, that would be great. My daughter did the online thing for 2 years and (for her) it was TERRIBLE. She hated it. We did the FL virtual school - and she had individual assigned teachers in each subject.

It was still very hard for her.

Jharkan

Internets EXPERT
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Activities at Commercial Facilities (~ 1 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Kenneth [A306AZE14Q7AJY] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$11.19] [Pay=3.73] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=null] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.20] [Fast=5.00] [Comm=5.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=7] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=6.49] [Pen=null] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.00
Available: 1
Description: You will be asked to complete a 10-minute survey about security measures at a commercial facility.
Qualifications: Exc: [2691732-97280] DoesNotExist ; Location In US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
these aren't the same hit he keeps posting? I'm able to [try] to do more than the first one I did? I notice that there's an EXC. qual, which is why I ask[/td][/tr]

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Full time employed only! Authenticity, Personality, and Work-Life Satisfaction PART 1 | Accept
Requester: SmithOscar [AKL99MZHRN058] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$17.45] [Pay=4.03] [Fast=4.25] [Comm=4.00] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.25] [Fast=4.82] [Comm=4.75] [Fair=4.98] [Reviews=80] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=5.89] [Pen=0.36 days] [Res=0%] [Rec=86%] [Rej=0] [ToS=1] [Brk=0]
Reward: 1.10
Available: 24
Description: Authenticity, Personality, and Work-Life Satisfaction PART 1
Qualifications: jram EqualTo 1; Already taken DoesNotExist
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
summer vacation + requesters launching their own platforms or working on others.

I think the money is still out there but it has shifted locations.

AI is fucking up our lives, though. Not much sentiment scoring/machine learning type hits as what there used to be. Algorithms and AI are getting better at it so they don't need us plebs anymore.
AI is getting better because us plebs are teaching it. lol Sentiment is one of those things will be around for a while. Or, at least until we can get machines to understand that tone, inflection, emotion, spelling, punctuation, sarcasm, timing, body language and a multitude of other things all combine to convey way more information than the mere text that is being said, or read. I guess if you want to stay in business, you'd have to stop doing such quality work. Machine learning has too good of a teacher.:p

But, until then, we'll be fine. There will always be studies. No way around that. I make most of my money from studies so, I don't notice when batches dry up, except that you all start grabbing my surveys quicker.:D

You're right about it shifting locations. Turking is like GoT in that you don't want to get too comfortable seeing a person/requester on a regular basis. Because, the first time you take a requester for granted, they get killed off. It's okay though. There will always be other garbage for us to do. Some things will always be cheaper to get a human to do, rather than paying for clock cycles and algorithms and techs.

Mornin' all!:)

Last edited:

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I'm concerned about being able to handle homeschooling from a mental health perspective... but online schooling might be a good option - I'll keep that in mind. PA is a really bad state for it though since it's highly regulated.

I was home schooled and I'm not socially adept, but my older sister is a very socially adept lawyer, so YMMV haha
I think it really depends on the kid. Another thing you have to watch for is that they aren't cheating/just doing the minimum. I did several online classes my senior year of high school and honestly I didn't learn a damn thing because I would do the quiz once and write down all the answers, then do the quiz retake (I could do the quiz a total of 2 times) and pass. They were BS electives to get my credits up but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.