07/11 - Workout Wednesday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan87

Reaction score
We're going to hit up Union Station today and look at trains with my kiddos and probably do lego something or other tomorrow.
KC is a pretty busy place when it comes to railroad traffic, hope ya'll get to see plenty of trains. One of the railfan live camera users on YouTube that I watch recently put up a stream for Kansas City,MO and it's up 24/7 and fairly busy. I drove through the area about ten years ago but haven't had the chance to make it back.

It's nice when other people can enjoy where I live...I hate it.

And it's hot as total balls here, this is the worst summer I can remember.
The heat's been oppressive here too... Constantly have heat index over 100. It was 110 at one point last week. I can tolerate it to an extent but I think my days of spending most of the day out in it are past.

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
KC is a pretty busy place when it comes to railroad traffic, hope ya'll get to see plenty of trains. One of the railfan live camera users on YouTube that I watch recently put up a stream for Kansas City,MO and it's up 24/7 and fairly busy. I drove through the area about ten years ago but haven't had the chance to make it back.
My son will be so happy to hear that :LOL: He is 4 and his favorite thing according to him is "seeing trains" seconded by "seeing train tracks". They also have a model railway at Union Station that we're going to check out, a diner where a train delivers your food, and a trolley :rolleyes:

hockeyfan87

Reaction score
My son will be so happy to hear that :LOL: He is 4 and his favorite thing according to him is "seeing trains" seconded by "seeing train tracks". They also have a model railway at Union Station that we're going to check out, a diner where a train delivers your food, and a trolley :rolleyes:
Sounds like me when I was that age... I admit I still get kinda excited about seeing trains, guess I haven't really outgrown it. :) Kansas City is (or at least was) the busiest rail hub in the entire US, followed closely by Chicago. I don't know enough about the area to give you the average number of trains, but during the middle of the week at least it should be busy. The live feed I was referring to in my last post can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nmRvxB6cG8 I usually hide the chat because well...it IS YouTube (though the chat itself is moderated and they mostly deal with people speaking other languages it seems)

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Morning, all. Another beautiful day to stare at a screen.

My sister has been here about 10 years and she loves it and wants to live here forever - I wish I could feel that way about a place.
I have always felt this way, no matter where I lived. I have always hated it. The closest thing I have to loving a place is when I have vacationed in Myrtle Beach.

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score

I have always felt this way, no matter where I lived. I have always hated it. The closest thing I have to loving a place is when I have vacationed in Myrtle Beach.
i've lived in one place. i hate it.

but i always feel at home in the mountains. like it's where i'm meant to be.

come on job apps, answer meeee

CrazyCatLady

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

I love where I live! I'm fine with staying here forever lol! Lake town. I will admit..not a lot to do during the winter, but I don't do much anyway. Perfect place for me lol

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
Okay, I can't recommend Testable.org to people anymore. The surveys the site's own developers have been putting up are broken or wonky, I'm fairly certain I will never get my payout for my referrals because hitting the $30 threshold will take at least a year, and their website interface is beyond frustrating. Honestly, if you're going to spend a year developing a site and testing it in beta I expect it to be a lot more user friendly for both participants and requesters (which there are extremely few of over there - and some are obvious reject happy scammers that the site ignores.)

Fuck them.

hockeyfan87

Reaction score

I do like where I live, but sometimes I wish I lived a bit closer to a busier rail line so I could walk and take photos without having to spend at least half an hour driving. (Yes, I'm weird.) Where I do live however does put me in range of a lot of decent sized towns so there's always something to do. I'm 2 hours from Indianapolis, Nashville, Evansville or Cincinnati, and only 45 minutes from Louisville.

Reactions: sofaslug

sofaslug

my cat's he-bitch
Reaction score
I love where I live! I'm fine with staying here forever lol! Lake town. I will admit..not a lot to do during the winter, but I don't do much anyway. Perfect place for me lol
I do love the area where my cottage is but across the street are year round residents who hate the weekenders. They drive through the neighborhood on ATVs in the middle of the night and set off M80s (really fucking loud fireworks made from quarter sticks of dynamite.) It has made the charm of my summer lake house wane a bit in recent weeks. I go up there to relax, not feel an urge to burn down a hillbilly shack.

Reactions: jan and savvy

savvy

Reaction score
I do like where I live, but sometimes I wish I lived a bit closer to a busier rail line so I could walk and take photos without having to spend at least half an hour driving. (Yes, I'm weird.) Where I do live however does put me in range of a lot of decent sized towns so there's always something to do. I'm 2 hours from Indianapolis, Nashville, Evansville or Cincinnati, and only 45 minutes from Louisville.
i have a crap ton of trains where i live. my ex and i's house was behind a transfer station.....sleeping was a struggle some nights.... the crashing of switching cars and the really low hum of a train running for hours shot my anxiety up to 1000. also, trying to get anywhere on time...always a train crossing lol. Good ol' Norfolk Southern.

jan

Reaction score

There's plenty of room up here, in the Green Mountain State :)

Reactions: savvy

savvy

Reaction score
There's plenty of room up here, in the Green Mountain State :)
but so much lymes!!!

i love that area but not sure i can handle that level of cold...or moving four animals solo.

I am being picky right now to VA/NC mountains because it isn't too far from home and I'm familiar.

Reactions: jan

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
What a great thread. Inspired me to give my kid an MRE for lunch one day if she's bad LOL.
And I'll be in MO soon.
And I'm just so glad to be here because my laptop almost wasn't a gonna power on this morning!

hockeyfan87

Reaction score
i have a crap ton of trains where i live. my ex and i's house was behind a transfer station.....sleeping was a struggle some nights.... the crashing of switching cars and the really low hum of a train running for hours shot my anxiety up to 1000. also, trying to get anywhere on time...always a train crossing lol. Good ol' Norfolk Southern.
Yards are always noisy places. I'd rather be out where they just roll on by. Stayed out in Madisonville a few times on some overnight train watching trips. The hotel I stay in is less than 150 feet from CSX's main line. Always tell the staff I want a room with a view of the tracks, they mention most people complain about the noise, but honestly the trains were quieter than the room's AC unit, as there's no crossing nearby... that's what I would like. I lived in a house about 150 feet from a parkway for 10+ years, got used to listening to semis go by all the time.

Busiest line near here is operated by Norfolk Southern, nicknamed the "Rathole". It runs through some pretty country, especially towards the KY/TN line. Some places down there aren't quite for those with a fear of heights:

Reactions: savvy

jan

Reaction score
but so much lymes!!!

i love that area but not sure i can handle that level of cold...or moving four animals solo.

I am being picky right now to VA/NC mountains because it isn't too far from home and I'm familiar.
As most know, about 18 months ago, I put all our stuff in POD storage, put my daughter in the back seat of the Prius (the 80 pd. dog refused to give up the front seat) and the cat in the trunk. We moved from Florida to several hotels and then stayed 3 months in very expensive rentals in NH while I house hunted.

It was CRAZY. But thankfully, it worked :). We bought a house and we're all settled in. The POD was great (very cheap and totally reliable). The rest of it was insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.