05/12 - Friendship Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Nomad

Reaction score
Title: Training qualifier to do UserBob HITs | PANDA
Requester: UserBob [A1G1PATDFBA7E5] (TO)
TO Ratings:

☢☢☢☢☢ 4.97 Communicativity
☢☢☢☢☢ 4.88 Generosity
☢☢☢☢☢ 5.00 Fairness
☢☢☢☢☢ 5.00 Promptness
Number of Reviews: 34
(Submit a new TO rating for this requester)

Description: Record your computer's screen and your voice while you spend 1 minute talking about your first visit to a website. Then upload the recording.
Time: 60 minutes
Hits Available: 1
Reward: $1.00
Qualifications: HIT abandonment rate (%) is less than 10; Reviewer has not been granted; Total approved HITs is not less than 1000; HIT approval rate (%) is not less than 99; Location is US

Digital Nomad

Reaction score
Reactions: Azazael and <Gucci>

redtokyoboxers

the güero you cannot sweat-o
Contributor
Champion
Reaction score
I'm actually more of a descriptivist but I don't think literally has been in common usage long enough to warrant a definition change. I also prefer to look at more educated people as a guide for language change and those using literal to mean metaphorical tend to not to be as educated.
I don't disagree, but I also like being a devil's avocado. The use of literally as a synonym to figuratively or metaphorically dates back to the 18th century. It's part of the definition, but it is a tacky part of the definition, to be sure.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but I also like being a devil's avocado. The use of literally as a synonym to figuratively or metaphorically dates back to the 18th century. It's part of the definition, but it is a tacky part of the definition, to be sure.
This is interesting. I didn't know it had such a long history of being used that way. I stand corrected.

Pleco

Friendly Neighborhood Rat
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I'm actually more of a descriptivist but I don't think literally has been in common usage long enough to warrant a definition change. I also prefer to look at more educated people as a guide for language change and those using literal to mean metaphorical tend to not to be as educated.
I love it when you use big words.

Reactions: Vanyanka

redtokyoboxers

Contributor
Champion
Reaction score
This is interesting. I didn't know it had such a long history of being used that way. I stand corrected.
I mean, again, I don't think you're wrong. There may be a history of usage in that way, but it's still a history of incorrect usage. Although it is used in Tom Sawyer in that way which fucks up the which side is right discussion for me anyway.

C to the J

Outlaw Turker
Contributor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I mean, again, I don't think you're wrong. There may be a history of usage in that way, but it's still a history of incorrect usage. Although it is used in Tom Sawyer in that way which fucks up the which side is right discussion for me anyway.
I don't hear it.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Was it used by the characters in Tom Sawyer or by Mark Twain as the narrator? I haven't read the book in about a decade.

Reactions: redtokyoboxers

redtokyoboxers

Contributor
Champion
Reaction score
Was it used by the characters in Tom Sawyer or by Mark Twain as the narrator? I haven't read the book in about a decade.
Narrator, near the end of chapter 2.

And when the middle of the afternoon came, from being a poor poverty-stricken boy in the morning, Tom was literally rolling in wealth.

Melly

Pew Pew!
Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
UGH!
My cat is such a dick! I don't know wtf his problem is lately, but the little shit just knocked over the trashcan and he had to do it while I'm in the middle of a survey too :arghh:

Reactions: Vanyanka

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Narrator, near the end of chapter 2.
Well, I might have to side with Mark Twain then. I still don't like it when it's used as a synonym for figurative but I'll have to accept that greater minds than mine have spoken.

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
UGH!
My cat is such a dick! I don't know wtf his problem is lately, but the little shit just knocked over the trashcan and he had to do it while I'm in the middle of a survey too :arghh:
One of my cats in the biggest asshole alive. She goes around slamming doors just to be a bitch and then she knocks over all the trash cans so she can sit inside them.

Reactions: Melly

Melly

Pew Pew!
Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
One of my cats in the biggest asshole alive. She goes around slamming doors just to be a bitch and then she knocks over all the trash cans so she can sit inside them.
Yea, I'm about done with this little asshole. He enabled my dogs to get the beef jerky the other day and that shit is like gold around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.