03/30 - Frequency Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So honest question...

Would it make me a bad person to move to a slightly worse school district when I can get twice the house for my money? It's just very difficult to find what we need when I have so many people.

Also our 14 year old daughter who is a horrible student, doesn't try in school and has a shitty group of friends is the one bitching about leaving the school district how's that make sense?

Reactions: jan

jan

Reaction score
So honest question...

Would it make me a bad person to move to a slightly worse school district when I can get twice the house for my money? It's just very difficult to find what we need when I have so many people.

Also our 14 year old daughter who is a horrible student, doesn't try in school and has a shitty group of friends is the one bitching about leaving the school district how's that make sense?
I'd stay in the better school district if I could. But I suppose one way to find out is to go visit the other school (how terrible is it?). Will your daughter's terrible friends be even worse, in the other school district?

Also, your house value might be more likely to go up in the better district.....

MagicalStreams

I'd gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today.
Reaction score

Tell your 14 yr old, that there is this wonderful concept called the Internet, with all these gadgets like Facetime, Discord,text etc. etc. and seeing how teenagers never actually SPEAK to each other anymore they Text. There really isn't a reason to be tied to one place. Fly Hummingbird Fly!

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
So honest question...

meh.

a good student is a good student and will get the opportunities they try for. community college is a thing, and in most states will transfer to any state school as long as they're not failing. Also, community college has trade schools.

Our worse school in the district also has the IB program in it *shrug*

I've literally seen NO difference in all my friends who have graduated from all the different schools in my city. So it does depend on "how bad" but in my city, the worst is still good enough to do ok. I went to one of the best and am making the least money out of all my friends and doing the worst, lol, and I was an amazing student in high school and college.

edit: and I'm noow coming upon my 10 year reunion for HS

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd stay in the better school district if I could. But I suppose one way to find out is to go visit the other school (how terrible is it?). Will your daughter's terrible friends be even worse, in the other school district?

Also, your house value might be more likely to go up in the better district.....
I'm just a renter, I don't want to buy a house that big.

I just have 8 people in my house and I'm not sure the better school district is worth my sanity. Some of these 8 people aren't always the most pleasant.

Reactions: jan and savvy

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
meh.

a good student is a good student and will get the opportunities they try for. community college is a thing, and in most states will transfer to any state school as long as they're not failing. Also, community college has trade schools.

Our worse school in the district also has the IB program in it *shrug*

I've literally seen NO difference in all my friends who have graduated from all the different schools in my city. So it does depend on "how bad" but in my city, the worst is still good enough to do ok. I went to one of the best and am making the least money out of all my friends and doing the worst, lol, and I was an amazing student in high school and college.

edit: and I'm noow coming upon my 10 year reunion for HS
That is a pretty good point. It's not like the inner city or anything. It's an area where there are some really nice house and some really crappy ones. So it's a mix of stuff.

Kamalani

Reaction score
So honest question...

Honestly, I take the stance of - They will get to where they are supposed to be. I have had friends who went to Top 10 colleges that went to not so great high schools. I've also had friends who went to okay schools and okay colleges who have succeeded in life. I think it all depends on the person/kid and their drive.

You could also look into school of choice if there is a better school elsewhere in the city.

Reactions: jan

savvy

Reaction score
That is a pretty good point. It's not like the inner city or anything. It's an area where there are some really nice house and some really crappy ones. So it's a mix of stuff.
jan @jan 's idea is good. visit it. How bad is it? I guess the one thing I'm not accounting for is kids are WAY worse than when I was in high school. So that is a factor. Are they terrible crime children? I can't even say drugs, because drugs were super abundant in my upper middle class school, and parents bought us our liqour and my best friend was dealing weed - that being said all my drinking and drugs in high school i graduated with straight A's hahah

MagicalStreams

Reaction score
Ok, I hate the way the universe just decides to annoy me on a Friday.... You're cruising along with some nickel hits, and BAM. They are all gone after 19.... I mean the universe could have given me ONE more for an even $1.... but NOOOOOOOOO.....

Reactions: SherryNotShirley

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
jan @jan 's idea is good. visit it. How bad is it? I guess the one thing I'm not accounting for is kids are WAY worse than when I was in high school. So that is a factor. Are they terrible crime children? I can't even say drugs, because drugs were super abundant in my upper middle class school, and parents bought us our liqour and my best friend was dealing weed - that being said all my drinking and drugs in high school i graduated with straight A's hahah
I think I'll do some digging, but then is the other problem, the amount of size we need for what we can afford. What's more important a school that's rated a little worse or living in a house where we all want to strangle each other.

savvy

Reaction score
I think I'll do some digging, but then is the other problem, the amount of size we need for what we can afford. What's more important a school that's rated a little worse or living in a house where we all want to strangle each other.
I would honestly say, overall, a better homelife is important. Less likely to drive the kids out to do something stupid.

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Informational Attitude : An Investigation(~ 22 minutes) | Accept
Requester: lordlab [A2CZG5CYV4CD17] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: [Pay: 2.07] [Fast: 4.85] [Comm: 3.20] [Fair: 4.60] [Reviews: 37] [ToS: 0]
TO2: [Hrly: ---] [Pen: ---] [Res: ---] [Rec: ---] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
Reward:
$1.25
Duration: 1 hour
Available: 1
Description: A psychology study examining the relationship between cognitive processes and attitudes.
Requirements: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 50; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 75; Exc: [-2117403572-81114] DoesNotExist; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.1.19
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: LittleDrummerBoy

ItsAmyTee

Corgo
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I have absolutely no stake in this discussion, but "terrible crime children" is now one of my favorite phrases.

Mecca

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I would honestly say, overall, a better homelife is important. Less likely to drive the kids out to do something stupid.
I probably should also preface by saying our daughter the one throwing the first about all of this. Is a 14 year old going on 5, she pouts and thinks she should always get her way.

But it's also very weird to me that a kid that has been so heavily failed by herself and to some degree this school system cares so much about where she goes. The other day I literally said to her if you tried hard and had good grades it would mean more to me than when the straight F student is complaining about schools.

MagicalStreams

Reaction score
I'd choose my sanity, because believe me, those mood stabilizers, antidepressants and anxiety meds start to add up in the good ole pocketbook, even with insurance, those co-pays are no joke.

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Try a Translation Tool - must use Chrome browser! | Accept
Requester: Thomas [AT411358FDXB9] Contact
TO: [Pay: 3.00] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: 0.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 1] [ToS: 0]
TO2:
No Reviews
Reward: $0.45
Duration: 1 hour
Available: 331
Description: -
Requirements: Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

themildone

the real Jaded
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Title: Answer survey questions about health for a chance to qualify for a longer follow-up study(~ 2 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Osiris Rankin [ABN4CQ3X40COR] Contact
TV: No Reviews
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: $0.18
Duration: 8 minutes
Available: 1
Description: For this research project, you will answer questions about yourself, things you’ve recently done, and some thoughts you may have had. You may be invited to participate in a longer follow-up survey.
Requirements: Exc: [81704-81115] DoesNotExist; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; SurveyGroup [985] DoesNotExist; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: LittleDrummerBoy
Status
Not open for further replies.