• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bode "Emo Barry" Miller

Unofficial Official
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Which part? The part where you claim to be a "biomedical researcher" or the part where i said "This is gonna be a fun night I can already see it."?

Which one do you do in your "spare" time? The Mturk or the biomedical research?
why are you going on like it's impossible for someone to be doing biomedical research and use this forum? Tandem In Time @Sciency McScienceface could easily be studying this field in school. Just because this field sounds "fancy" doesn't mean they're rolling in a six figure salary using mturk for fun

TotalBabe

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
These HITs are usually pretty quick.

Title: chat with Albert Einstein | PANDA
Worker: Preview | Accept | Requester
Requester: Seth [AVS5XNNUL0RZQ] (Contact)
TO 1: [Pay: 3.79] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: 3.00] [Fair: 5.00] [Reviews: 35] [ToS: 1]
TO 2:
Not Available
Description: have a meaningful chat (approximately 10 turns; turn=back and forth) with my bot that simulates Albert Einstein
Time: 30 minutes
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $1.00
Qualifications: NonDisclosure is greater than 0; Location is US;

EDIT: Under 4 mins.

Last edited:

Empress328

Semi Well-Known Member
Reaction score
why are you going on like it's impossible for someone to be doing biomedical research and use this forum? Tandem In Time @Sciency McScienceface could easily be studying this field in school. Just because this field sounds "fancy" doesn't mean they're rolling in a six figure salary using mturk for fun
Scientists are not paid much. I have several friends in the field and all are struggling.

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Which part? The part where you claim to be a "biomedical researcher" or the part where i said "This is gonna be a fun night I can already see it."?

Which one do you do in your "spare" time? The Mturk or the biomedical research?
I got a master's degree in chemistry 10 years ago, have worked in an academic research laboratory for the past decade (we really don't get paid a lot), live in San Diego (check out the cost of living sometime), and have 2 very small children (childcare is insanely $$$), still paying off massive student loans from my wife's education and my undergrad, discovered mTurk, and discovered that I could make $10K+ per year to supplement my income (largely thanks waking up to to do Zoltars at 5AM and grinding it out from 7PM-11PM each night).

I'd prefer not to put personal information like my name out there on the forums, but I could gladly share with you at least a dozen journal articles in private that I have co-authored on the topic of mass spectrometry. And in particular I am most proud of my work elucidating the mechanism of action of marine bacteria antibiotic molecules.

Last edited:

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
Well I guess Mturk CAN be fun. Someone that intelligent might even find it more fun than some. But I'm sure you could much better part-time work given those qualifications. I'm calling shenanigans on that.

Bode "Emo Barry" Miller

Unofficial Official
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Reactions: Vanyanka

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Well I guess Mturk CAN be fun. Someone that intelligent might even find it more fun than some. But I'm sure you could much better part-time work given those qualifications. I'm calling shenanigans on that.
Let me put it this way... I actually know how the automatic gain control of a C-trap in a quadrupole-orbitrap mass spectrometer functions to minimize space-charge effects and trap over-filling... But I also have a small baby and chose to pick up a little extra money from home so I can be with her rather than galavanting around picking up the big-$$$'s at all of those part-time sciencing gigs that you seem to know about.

Oh and... New flash: Full-time science jobs don't really facilitate part-time science jobs because most research outfits operate during normal business hours due to OSHA regulations.

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
This all started to begin with because I said doctors don't cure people (essentially). I received the reply "there's no cure for stupid." I never expected to have a cure for eating pizza, gyros and italian beefs my whole life. I realize I am responsible for what I did to my own body. I'm not asking for a cure. I was just saying I don't see a point in going to doctor/hospital so they can "treat" me for the rest of my life. I can live or die without anyone telling me how to do it.

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
This all started to begin with because I said doctors don't cure people (essentially). I received the reply "there's no cure for stupid." I never expected to have a cure for eating pizza, gyros and italian beefs my whole life. I realize I am responsible for what I did to my own body. I'm not asking for a cure. I was just saying I don't see a point in going to doctor/hospital so they can "treat" me for the rest of my life. I can live or die without anyone telling me how to do it.
You said very little is curable... I was explaining why people get treatments and end right back at the doctor for something else... it's because of their habits and choices... not because the doctors are plotting to keep people sick to make money.

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
I AM drunk so i'm sorry Tandem In Time @Sciency McScienceface for getting personal about that. If that's what you do. But I started feeling like I was being attacked and I just defended myself.

Rerun

Forum Licker
Contributor
Reaction score
I get the supplementing-your-income-with-Mturk thing. But what I guess I DON'T get is why a man of science (an educated one, at that) chooses to spend his time late at night bickering on a forum. There's no money in it, and the person you're trying to discredit doesn't make a difference in either line of your work.

I only have a community college education, though, and I'm not published. So that's MY excuse for being here this late at night. Perhaps there IS no cure for stupid. :wink:

Reactions: Jinendra

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
You said very little is curable... I was explaining why people get treatments and end right back at the doctor for something else... it's because of their habits and choices... not because the doctors are plotting to keep people sick to make money.
Right. But you just said it again. People end up back at back at the doctor for something else... it's because of their habits and choices. I'm not arguing that. That's why I said I'm not asking for a cure for MY habits. But I still don't buy this part "not because the doctors are plotting to keep people sick to make money". I can only say agree to disagree.

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
I AM drunk so i'm sorry Tandem In Time @Sciency McScienceface for getting personal about that. If that's what you do. But I started feeling like I was being attacked and I just defended myself.
Hopefully now my stance is clear: Researchers are not in it for profit. If we wanted to wanted to make good money then we'd get MBAs instead (and wouldn't be Turking for money on the side). Discovering cures don't come easy anymore, but fortunately there are many people (myself included) who are still working exceedingly hard to chase those cures.

Last edited:

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully now my stance is clear: Researchers are not in it for profit. If we wanted to wanted to make good money then we'd get MBAs instead (and wouldn't be Turking for money on the side). Discovering cures don't come easy anymore, but fortunately there are many people (myself included) who are still working exceedingly hard to chase those cures.
I wish you the best of luck. I'm not being sarcastic either. Cures > treatments > nothing.

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
I get the supplementing-your-income-with-Mturk thing. But what I guess I DON'T get is why a man of science (an educated one, at that) chooses to spend his time late at night bickering on a forum. There's no money in it, and the person you're trying to discredit doesn't make a difference in either line of your work.

I only have a community college education, though, and I'm not published. So that's MY excuse for being here this late at night. Perhaps there IS no cure for stupid. :wink:
I'm here this late at night because I'm a hopeless insomniac and a workaholic... that's one of my bad habits.

Reactions: Jinendra and Rerun

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

Answer: Turking is not easy. So we're all constantly looking for distractions while we work... whether the distractions be Netfilx, music, epic shit-posting, or bickering with strangers (in this instace, I perceive the bickering to be standing up for my profession).

Last edited:
Reactions: raelefae and Rerun

Rerun

Forum Licker
Contributor
Reaction score
Answer: Turking is not easy. So we're all constantly looking for distractions while we work... whether the distractions be Netfilx, music, or bickering... or from my perspective, I perceive it to standing up for my profession.
Well, hey, you educated ME tonight. Thanks for the analytical response. :)

Reactions: Tandem In Time
Status
Not open for further replies.