03/23 - Soothing Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goat

Reaction score
Good morning, everyone. I woke up in the middle of the night and decided to research cheap laptops for Mturk.
It was a bad idea. Now I’m exhausted and even more confused.
Got to say my chromebook works wonderfully for mTurk. Would recommend.

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
ICYMI - Prolific ended the participant referral program. I know some people have made a little money doing it or link to it in their sigs. I was just about to link to it for something last night that's when/how I found out. I posted about it on the Prolific thread - HERE

Reactions: JDWFM and jan

DeaDea

Reaction score
Got to say my chromebook works wonderfully for mTurk. Would recommend.
At first I was thinking I’d just get a chromebook but then I started reading how people couldn’t do Hits without Windows 10...or something like that. Lol I don’t know anymore.

Reactions: theturkscribe

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
At first I was thinking I’d just get a chromebook but then I started reading how people couldn’t do Hits without Windows 10...or something like that. Lol I don’t know anymore.
I worked on an old laptop with Windows 7 for a long time but having a new laptop with Windows 10 made it easier to different things I do online - IDK about turking hasn't changed much but it's been better for just about every other thing for sure.

Reactions: DeaDea

Goat

Reaction score
\I started reading how people couldn’t do Hits without Windows 10...or something like that. Lol I don’t know anymore.
As far as I know, the argument is based on not being able to run Inquisit hits, which seem to have a bad rep anyway.

I haven't noticed anything limiting me from completing a variety of hits so far.

DeaDea

Reaction score
I worked on an old laptop with Windows 7 for a long time but having a new laptop with Windows 10 made it easier to different things I do online - IDK about turking hasn't changed much but it's been better for just about every other thing for sure.
I need to just buy something and be done with it.

Reactions: jan

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
my personal opinion is that a chromebook is generally too small for turking. At least for my liking. I like to have multiple windows/tabs open for efficiency. I had a 17" laptop and it worked alright for split screens. I preferred to have it docked and have an extra screen/keyboard/mouse though so I bought a desktop when it was time to upgrade.

DeaDea

Reaction score
As far as I know, the argument is based on not being able to run Inquisit hits, which seem to have a bad rep anyway.

I haven't noticed anything limiting me from completing a variety of hits so far.[/QUOTE
oh, good to know. Thanks

theturkscribe

Contributor
Reaction score
my personal opinion is that a chromebook is generally too small for turking. At least for my liking. I like to have multiple windows/tabs open for efficiency. I had a 17" laptop and it worked alright for split screens. I preferred to have it docked and have an extra screen/keyboard/mouse though so I bought a desktop when it was time to upgrade.
Yes I agree! To make $20 a week - whatever is fine. But $30 a day and up I think requires more.

jan

Reaction score
Title: MBE study 3(~ 15 minutes) | Accept
Requester: University of Toronto Soc. Studies [A6HZKAJ2XOXSH] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$12.88] [Pay=Good] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.43] [Fast=4.85] [Comm=3.00] [Fair=4.47] [Reviews=29] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 1.87
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: This survey asks questions about yourself, your activities, and your feelings, and asks you to complete several puzzles. It should take about 15 minutes. This survey is part of a study being conducted by researchers at the University of Toronto, and all answers will remain completely confidential. NO MOBILE DEVICES
Qualifications: Exc: [135805-135216] DoesNotExist ; Location In US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.7
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
it is hard to turk on my 15" macbook but I make due for part time $50-100/week turking

Last edited:

DeaDea

Reaction score
I have two screens (docked laptop and extra Monitor) at work. I love it but I just don’t have the space for another desktop at home. My home computer is being used by my kiddos for important things like Fortnite and Roblox lol!

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
I have two screens (docked laptop and extra Monitor) at work. I love it but I just don’t have the space for another desktop at home. My home computer is being used by my kiddos for important things like Fortnite and Roblox lol!
Before I bought a 2nd screen, I used our bedroom TV as a second monitor. It wasn't the best, but it worked. I could use it to have a scraper and panda crazy up there while I worked from the other screen.

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
savvy @savvylabell what are the downfalls to turking from the mac book?
dunno, I haven't turked with scripts from a windows PC. I use one at work, but no scripts. I've had a macbook for ten years so I'm comfortable on it *shrug* I'm not competitive or aggressive enough to know the difference, probably.

Reactions: theturkscribe
Status
Not open for further replies.