02/11 - Sedentary Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mew

Not a bot. I am a girl.
^_^
Reaction score
Welcome to today's MTurk Crowd work thread!

Please check out the forum guidelines.

Maybe you need some help getting started?

Want more info about how the forum works?

Would you like to contribute an idea about the future of the forum? Feel free to share your thoughts here.

If you are interested in creating a daily thread, please tag @dibs to let everyone know that you would like to claim the next day. It is first come, first serve and thread must be created and posted by 3a EST/12a PST.

Please let a mod know if you have any questions, and have a great turking day! - MTC staff

I am a bot and this is an automated daily thread post. If you would like to post a daily thread, just make sure you post it before I do at 12:05 AM PT. Out of a courtesy to others that may wish to make the thread, please tag @dibs to let everyone know that you are making it. The old thread will auto-lock on its own.

You can find more information about how to format a daily thread post here.

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
International Snowmobile Ride Day
National Don’t Cry Over Spilled Milk Day
National Inventors’ Day
National Make a Friend Day
National Peppermint Patty Day
National Shut-In Visitation Day
National White Shirt Day
Global Movie Day

jan

Reaction score
Title: Make judgments about visual stimuli(~ 5 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Karen Schloss [A3P4RBQXQMXJLR] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$21.74] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.60
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 1
Description: This is a less than 5 minute experiment which involves using the keyboard to make judgements about visual stimuli that appear on-screen.
Qualifications: SurveyGroup [5319] DoesNotExist ; rhsnlk98 GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; Exc: [2088631438-404298] DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 90; Location In US

jan

Reaction score
Title: Compare quality of videos (~15 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Binary City Ltd. [A32MRCRTDUHL7S] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$31.01] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=1] [Blk=0]
TO: No Reviews
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 5.00
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 3
Description: Rate the amount of degradation a video undergoes
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 500; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 98; Location EqualTo US

cassius

Reaction score
Karen Schloss
Make judgments about visual stimuli(~ 5 minutes) 60 cents

don't remember quals on this one. very simple, paid immediately.

cassius

Reaction score
perhaps it's a dead horse now or perhaps the dead arises in the future either this year or Jan 1, 2024. so, here's some info to arm yourselves:
Information to be reported
Under the directive, reporting platform operators would be required to collect and report extensive information in respect of reportable sellers on their platform including:

• names;
  • addresses;
  • tax information numbers;
  • dates of birth;
  • VAT identification numbers;
  • business registration numbers,
  • information in respect of any permanent establishments in the EU;
  • financial account Identifiers;
  • the address and land registration number of each property listing;
  • the number of days each property listing was rented;
  • total consideration paid during each quarter; and
  • any fees, commissions or taxes withheld or charged by the platform during each quarter.
The reporting platform operator must verify this information in accordance with due diligence procedures by 31 December of the reportable period. The reporting platform operator must provide a copy of the information to each individual reportable seller before it is reported to the relevant competent authority.

Additional provisions in DAC7
Other improvements to the EU administrative cooperation in the field of taxation introduced by DAC7 include:

• The clarification of the term ‘foreseeable relevance’ for the purposes of exchange of information upon request;
  • The rules on exchange of information upon request for group of taxpayers;
  • The extension of categories of income subject to mandatory exchange of information to royalties;
  • The new rules for carrying out simultaneous controls and allowing officials of a Member State to be present in another Member State during an enquiry; and
  • A framework for joint audits to be conducted by the competent authorities of two or more EU Member States.
https://www2.deloitte.com/ie/en/pages/tax/articles/DAC7-increases-reporting-obligations-of-digital-platforms-deloitte-ireland.html

notice "financial account identifiers"

yep, let's hope it's a dead horse.

Reactions: HelloHello

cassius

Reaction score
However, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Estonia, Greece, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia and Spain have not met this deadline. Accordingly, the European Commission (EC) is sending them a letter of formal notice.

https://www.step.org/industry-news/majority-eu-member-states-miss-dac7-deadline

better be careful with Estonia, EU. pushed too far and they will start singing again if they ever stopped.

Reactions: HelloHello

alk69

Reaction score
the more you look at this, the stronger it smells. It looks more and more like they plan to not only tax the internet, but also regulate it. To literally close down platforms who do not capitulate to their demands. Question: You do a survey for a university in the EU. You receive pay for this service. The problem here is you are not a hired hand. You are serving as a research rat. The moneys you get are remuneration for your expenses, not employee pay. Look at the permission pages on the surveys. They usually say that you will not benefit from the work. This is how research is carried out. The same as jury duty pay. It's for your expenses only. How does the EU plan to argue this in an American court?

cassius

Reaction score
the more you look at this, the stronger it smells. It looks more and more like they plan to not only tax the internet, but also regulate it. To literally close down platforms who do not capitulate to their demands. Question: You do a survey for a university in the EU. You receive pay for this service. The problem here is you are not a hired hand. You are serving as a research rat. The moneys you get are remuneration for your expenses, not employee pay. Look at the permission pages on the surveys. They usually say that you will not benefit from the work. This is how research is carried out. The same as jury duty pay. It's for your expenses only. How does the EU plan to argue this in an American court?
if it is money they want collected, that ought to be easy. when someone from EU wants to have work done with mTurk, amazon ought to collect at check point where the money changes hands. it is a VAT tax afterall. i go to holland and buy something, i pay the VAT at purchase point like sales tax. if amazon collect the money it would go into an account supposedly and then paid back to EU every quarter or whatever they want. this is about control.

Spicytacosaurus

Reaction score
happy saturday yall

this dac7 fuckery is ridiculous. i am glad i didnt fill anything out and decided to wait. it would personally not bother me to send amazon this information anyway if only they were more transparent about the way american workers information was being used and disseminated. amazon has had my social security number and everything else for years at this point. my personal opinion is that the irs is dropping the hammer on them somehow with regards to the new laws yet to be implemented about financial transactions over $600. which everyone around here has been wondering about since they passed the law. I think amazon was being lazy af about this and decided to just kill two birds with one stone and require american workers to fill out this dac7 interview and use the info for the irs. they need to come clean with mturk workers and state explicitly what they are planning on doing with the info.
I have a feeling the message is gone on the front page because someone with authority stepped in and said no, you cant do this, and they got their asses handed to them.

barny

(╯>.<)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
happy saturday yall

I think amazon was being lazy af about this and decided to just kill two birds with one stone and require american workers to fill out this dac7 interview and use the info for the irs. they need to come clean with mturk workers and state explicitly what they are planning on doing with the info.
Yeah, this was my thought as well, and to me the "interview" reeks of dishonesty. Glad I didn't fill anything out yet.

I have a feeling the message is gone on the front page because someone with authority stepped in and said no, you cant do this, and they got their asses handed to them.
Very likely. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon still wants that information from workers, but I'd bet the messaging was taken down from the front page because someone said "That's really sloppy and careless implementation and it could come back to bite us". I still have an email in my inbox from MTurk requesting that information, so I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that the issue has 100% resolved itself, but hopefully we can all forget about this DAC7 thing for now. It just seems odd how much the messaging had changed in the span of a few days, and then how the date for the request was pushed from Feb. 28 to April 30 and then finally removed completely.

Last edited:

Spicytacosaurus

Reaction score
Yeah, this was my thought as well, and to me the "interview" reeks of dishonesty. Glad I didn't fill anything out yet.

Very likely. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon still wants that information from workers, but I'd bet the messaging was taken down from the front page because someone said "That's really sloppy and careless implementation and it could come back to bite us". I still have an email in my inbox from MTurk requesting that information, so I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that the issue has 100% resolved itself, but hopefully we can all forget about this DAC7 thing for now. It just seems odd how much the messaging had changed in the span of a few days, and then how the date for the request was pushed from Feb. 28 to April 30 and then finally removed completely.
exactly. i read that email they sent out and immediately got suspicious when i read the following part -

You will be asked if you are registered to sell professional services on the MarketPlace or for AWS IQ, for the purposes of the survey the answer is ‘Yes’.

That alone reeks of dishonesty to me. I am not a registered seller on amazon, nor did I ever agree to become one. And for amazon to put that into the email as if to coach me on what to do when I filled out the dac7 interview, did not sit right with me AT ALL.

however i would not be surprised if the message comes back in the future with instructions explicitly for american workers.

Status
Not open for further replies.