02/11 - Sedentary Saturday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

barny

(╯>.<)╯︵ ┻━┻
Reaction score
exactly. i read that email they sent out and immediately got suspicious when i read the following part -

You will be asked if you are registered to sell professional services on the MarketPlace or for AWS IQ, for the purposes of the survey the answer is ‘Yes’.

That alone reeks of dishonesty to me. I am not a registered seller on amazon, nor did I ever agree to become one. And for amazon to put that into the email as if to coach me on what to do when I filled out the dac7 interview, did not sit right with me AT ALL.
That's a very good point, and being coached on how to answer confusing questions where it isn't clear exactly what is being asked is a huge red flag. Someone at Amazon with at least half a brain likely noticed that wording and said "Yeah, that ain't right" and had the message removed, for now at least.

cassius

Reaction score
happy saturday yall

this dac7 fuckery is ridiculous. i am glad i didnt fill anything out and decided to wait. it would personally not bother me to send amazon this information anyway if only they were more transparent about the way american workers information was being used and disseminated. amazon has had my social security number and everything else for years at this point. my personal opinion is that the irs is dropping the hammer on them somehow with regards to the new laws yet to be implemented about financial transactions over $600. which everyone around here has been wondering about since they passed the law. I think amazon was being lazy af about this and decided to just kill two birds with one stone and require american workers to fill out this dac7 interview and use the info for the irs. they need to come clean with mturk workers and state explicitly what they are planning on doing with the info.
I have a feeling the message is gone on the front page because someone with authority stepped in and said no, you cant do this, and they got their asses handed to them.
the ruling states if you read the info i posted, that no company has to tell folks what it is doing with their info until january, 2024. at least that's how i read it.

cassius

Reaction score
Yeah, this was my thought as well, and to me the "interview" reeks of dishonesty. Glad I didn't fill anything out yet.

Very likely. I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon still wants that information from workers, but I'd bet the messaging was taken down from the front page because someone said "That's really sloppy and careless implementation and it could come back to bite us". I still have an email in my inbox from MTurk requesting that information, so I'm not going to bury my head in the sand and pretend that the issue has 100% resolved itself, but hopefully we can all forget about this DAC7 thing for now. It just seems odd how much the messaging had changed in the span of a few days, and then how the date for the request was pushed from Feb. 28 to April 30 and then finally removed completely.
some folks did email congress critters. if someone got the message to the right critter, surprising things can happen. with all the trouble the tech companies are in right now with congress, this could have been advantageous to someone with ambition. but that's something we most likely won't find out.

Reactions: HelloHello

cassius

Reaction score
the more you look at this, the stronger it smells. It looks more and more like they plan to not only tax the internet, but also regulate it. To literally close down platforms who do not capitulate to their demands. Question: You do a survey for a university in the EU. You receive pay for this service. The problem here is you are not a hired hand. You are serving as a research rat. The moneys you get are remuneration for your expenses, not employee pay. Look at the permission pages on the surveys. They usually say that you will not benefit from the work. This is how research is carried out. The same as jury duty pay. It's for your expenses only. How does the EU plan to argue this in an American court?
yes, control the internet. you have a point there.
https://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/articles/2022/12/23/pentagon-paves-road-map-for-zero-trust-by-2027

HelloHello

Reaction score
some folks did email congress critters. if someone got the message to the right critter, surprising things can happen. with all the trouble the tech companies are in right now with congress, this could have been advantageous to someone with ambition. but that's something we most likely won't find out.
My preference would be that any work coming from the EU would require the qualification of having completed a DAC7. So if you don't have that on file you can't complete their hits. Fine and dandy with me.

cassius

Reaction score
My preference would be that any work coming from the EU would require the qualification of having completed a DAC7. So if you don't have that on file you can't complete their hits. Fine and dandy with me.
That's not what the ruling states can happen and if amazon does have to abide by this thing, it has to abide by the ruling which states that "sellers" that don't respond by giving away their information have to be discarded.

cassius

Reaction score
Penalties for marketplace operators for not reporting under DAC7
Marketplace operators can be fined if the information DAC7 requires is not reported. You need to collect the required information from your providers and report it by the due date, January 31st, following the reportable year.

If your marketplace providers don’t provide you with the information on time, you are obligated to send them two reminders. If 60 days have passed and you still have not received the information, you need to close the provider’s account.

HelloHello

Reaction score
Penalties for marketplace operators for not reporting under DAC7
Marketplace operators can be fined if the information DAC7 requires is not reported. You need to collect the required information from your providers and report it by the due date, January 31st, following the reportable year.

If your marketplace providers don’t provide you with the information on time, you are obligated to send them two reminders. If 60 days have passed and you still have not received the information, you need to close the provider’s account.
Simple, no qualification so not a worker for anybody in the EU.

HelloHello

Reaction score
and that is why some of us wrote our congress critters and perhaps why the thing disappeared this morning. we'll have to wait and see on that one.
Sadly, it has reappeared for me: The EU has recently implemented the DAC7 directive that requires us to report MTurk workers’ taxable income. To be in compliance with this directive, please complete a DAC7 tax interview no later than February 28, 2023. If we do not have your tax information by then, you may be ineligible to continue to use the MTurk platform, which could also result in withheld payments.

cassius

Reaction score
Sadly, it has reappeared for me: The EU has recently implemented the DAC7 directive that requires us to report MTurk workers’ taxable income. To be in compliance with this directive, please complete a DAC7 tax interview no later than February 28, 2023. If we do not have your tax information by then, you may be ineligible to continue to use the MTurk platform, which could also result in withheld payments.
guess amazon is really confused.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score

KYKITTY

Contributor
Reaction score
Miss anything good today? Been out buying a new car, so I NEED the money now more than ever. Could not believe the prices of a new car now!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.