02/09 COMFORTABLY NUMB SATURDAY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
Completely off topic - I finally got pushed over the edge on news sites and pulled out the nuclear option - is anyone else using the StopAd system extension? I'm kind of a news junkie, but lately the number of flashy ads, autoplay videos, screen overlays, and other BS finally pushed me over the edge. The web was becoming completely unusable. Pages would take forever to load on my crappy DSL connection and I felt like it was taking half my browsing time just playing whack-a-mole with all the frickin ads and videos.

I don't mind sites showing a few banner ads to monetize their sites, but it was getting ridiculous. I think it was the Independent that finally drove me over the edge. The useable window of content was thinned down to a narrow band like 50 pixels tall. The rest of the screen was completely encrusted in video ads and overlays.

At the risk of sounding like a shill for StopAd, I'll just say that the web experience is much better. It's a refreshing change not to watch the stupid bouncing beach ball while a hundred video ads and trackers load, just so I can read about Avi Loeb freaking out about aliens.

Sorry, Internet. You broke me. And now you're getting the timeout you deserve.
How quickly did the rate of ads you were presented take place?

Reactions: greg

jan

Reaction score
Title: Language Experiment-15 | Accept
Requester: Buckeye Linguistics Research [A2PRLMF9CE9HGD] Contact
Reward: 1.00
Duration: 30:00
Available: 1
Description: Read English sentences and answer questions about them
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.3
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

jan

Reaction score

greg

Hey that tickles
Reaction score
How quickly did the rate of ads you were presented take place?
It seems to have gotten slightly but consistently worse over the last few years. As popular news sites change their format sometimes it jumps and gets really bad. I completely gave up on the local NBC affiliate website in my area when they redesigned their site. It used to be annoying but bearable - now it's 90% invasive ads and 10% news.

Reactions: ChristopherASA

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought it might have been caused by your inadvertently 'subscribing' to something that then subscribed you to whole bunch of other ... stuff. Obviously not the case.

Reactions: greg

greg

Hey that tickles
Reaction score
I thought it might have been caused by your inadvertently 'subscribing' to something that then subscribed you to whole bunch of other ... stuff. Obviously not the case.
That might be the case - I'm not sure how all this stuff works. But I can tell you everything loads faster and there's less clutter and BS.

Reactions: Sondi

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
Good morning! The $18 hit from yesterday approved!! They finally wrote me back :celebrate2:

FrenchToast @FrenchToast and other people I can't remember
Did he ask you how you opened the hit? Like, I can't remember if I opened it from the PandaCrazy queue or right in a browser window so I don't know what to tell him.

Also morning turkeys!

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Did he ask you how you opened the hit? Like, I can't remember if I opened it from the PandaCrazy queue or right in a browser window so I don't know what to tell him.

Also morning turkeys!
Nope - I had it in the regular browser window and submitted with 'it's broke' - I think you can give your email address you signed up with and they can check from there - that's what I did. But he didn't give any other details about why it was approved.

Reactions: FrenchToast

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
Nope - I had it in the regular browser window and submitted with 'it's broke' - I think you can give your email address you signed up with and they can check from there - that's what I did. But he didn't give any other details about why it was approved.
He approved mine too, so I'm assuming it all went through alright. He said that certain parameters were not sent through Mturk to display on my page, such as my workerID and number of scans done. I'm just going to tell him that I think I opened it in Chrome, but not sure. I don't like telling requesters about scripts I used because I don't want to set anything off.

Reactions: Sondi

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
He approved mine too, so I'm assuming it all went through alright. He said that certain parameters were not sent through Mturk to display on my page, such as my workerID and number of scans done. I'm just going to tell him that I think I opened it in Chrome, but not sure. I don't like telling requesters about scripts I used because I don't want to set anything off.
yeah I didn't mention that part - I just said "I went ahead and submitted it so it wouldn't expire" - glad yours approved too!!

Reactions: FrenchToast

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

You vs. the guy...

Reactions: jan and Sondi

alk69

Reaction score
i'm uncomfortably numb
I'm uncomfortably cold. So my joints now hurt. Numbness would be a relief. There is not enough coffee to warm me up, even if I poured it on....why did I get up?...Oh, yes to drink coffee. This whole calculation adds up to going back to bed...just to warm up, you understand.

Concise

Buddhist Bacchante
Reaction score
couple of these floating around
Title: Listen to a indie-alternative song and answer a survey about it. | Accept
Requester: AudioKite [A1ZEEGMU3YMZ6] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$9.77] [Pay=Fair] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unacceptable] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
Reward: 0.13
Duration: 1:00:00
Description: A musician or label is seeking feedback on a indie-alternative song from people in the United States who enjoy indie-alternative music. Listen to the song for at least 30 seconds and answer a survey about it. NOTE: The qualification test is to confirm you enjoy listening to the designated genre.
Qualifications: Likes Indie / Rock / Alternative GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location EqualTo US

GTR

Reaction score
I'm uncomfortably cold. So my joints now hurt. Numbness would be a relief. There is not enough coffee to warm me up, even if I poured it on....why did I get up?...Oh, yes to drink coffee. This whole calculation adds up to going back to bed...just to warm up, you understand.
so far, looks like no need to be up on here... get back under the covers and drink coffee.

jan

Reaction score
Title: Survey about cognitive enhancement | Accept
Requester: Daniela Sauge [A29PLMVORTGHKU] Contact
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 15:00
Description: Take a survey about cognitive enhancement
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 500; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 95; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.6.3
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Status
Not open for further replies.