02/03 - Super Sports Sunday!

Are you watching the Super Bowl tonight?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
There's a bit of a luck factor when it comes to the card distribution.
very much so I ran out of 1's at one point. I think I mentioned both players were trapped behind obstacles in another.

Reactions: Nikoratos

Nikoratos

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd like to add, in no particular order, regarding the Cereal Bar Game:

(This turned out longer than I had planned, and also I wanted to mention I am far from perfect at this, but I think there are some things I figured out that can help.)

Leaders:

* Try to stack commands (multiple moves in one command), if at all possible tell the follower what to do and then what to do next so they don't burn a turn with only 3-4 moves instead of 14 or 15.

Try to have the "correct" next command in the queue and pay attention to how fast the follower is accepting commands. If you get a move behind it's really easy to spend the entire game trying to fix it, and if they try to get a new command and there isn't one it ends their turn.

* Try to be as specific as possible, like "3 blue +" instead of "the blue card."

Remember that turns count as moves, try reminding people they can back up and turn instead of turn turn turn move move turn turn.

* You don't have as much time as you think, you have to direct yourself *and* the follower. I try to send them a message first before I move because their move is more useful than mine.

Remind yourself to double-check both color and shape. On some of the overhead maps it's hard to see the difference between some symbols, and some will be blocked by landforms or trees or whatever.

If you're done with your tasks early, you can end your turn and shave 20 seconds off the length of the game, or if you're just "passing" a turn (I can't imagine doing that, though).

Followers:

* You can't see if there are commands in the queue, so keep an eye on your move count and on your last move hit the finish and get button to see if there's a new command. If you hit it at the beginning of the move and there's no new command, it ends your turn.

The leader can see the overhead map and your screen, so if you can "park" facing a group of cards they can see what you see.

* You have very little time to move when you consider that you have to read the command, look at your screen, orient yourself, and then calculate how to move while wasting as few turns as possible.

* Getting around obstacles sometimes takes longer than selecting and deselecting a card or two. I've found sometimes it's better to run over a pair of cards twice than go around a tree to get to the other side.

The leader can't hear back from you, so you have to trust their plan. Don't volunteer extra cards because you think they will help, *but* as I said you can place yourself so they see better (don't run too far away from where they tell you to stop, though).

For both:

* Know left from right. I mean, everyone makes a mistake here or there, but my worst runs often hinge on this one. I am not even joking.

* Not every game is going to go great, some of this depends on luck. I had one where both players were trapped in a grove. I had one where we had only one "1" card at a time and they would be on opposite ends of the map. Try not to quit form frustration, it will hopefully even out.

If your timer is running out, don't quit. Go ahead and submit (confirmed this with Cereal Bar @Cereal Bar yesterday) early and mention it in the optional feedback, it will still link to the game you were playing (I wouldn't do this unless you're really about to run out, though, because why add complexity?).

But most of all, good luck!
This is a very tight and well thought out set of instructions. I might look like I know what I'm doing once I get the qual for these. Thank you.

Reactions: Merovign

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
This is a very tight and well thought out set of instructions. I might look like I know what I'm doing once I get the qual for these. Thank you.
I'm doubling down on "anticipate the facing of the character after part of a move for the next instruction" and adding "use landmarks and try to use simple names for them" like "red roof house" or "wood tower" or "windmill house."

IndividualRace

Reaction score
I think followers had less time today, too? I don't remember feeling rushed at all yesterday, but I was constantly fighting the clock to read new instructions and get all my moves in today.

Amon

Contributor
Reaction score
very much so I ran out of 1's at one point. I think I mentioned both players were trapped behind obstacles in another.
you ran into a situation where you had to submit prior to actually finishing the game yesterday right? this game is running long for me.

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
you ran into a situation where you had to submit prior to actually finishing the game yesterday right? this game is running long for me.
Yes requester says that's okay it will work.

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
Also remember players move according to a 6-sided grid so some moves look straight and some angled.

Edit: Also remember each turn is a move so "rotate 180" is 2 or 3 moves depending. Often better to back up.

Last edited:

IndividualRace

Reaction score
Oh, moving around the hexboard finally clicked for me so I'm not wasting nearly as many moves (usually when approaching a card)! I don't know why I didn't "see" how it worked before today, but better now than never.

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
I think followers had less time today, too? I don't remember feeling rushed at all yesterday, but I was constantly fighting the clock to read new instructions and get all my moves in today.
Super easy to run out of time while looking for best route.

Reactions: vandaria

Merovign

Contributor
Reaction score
PSA for everyone on the cereal bar game - It Will Not Always Go Well.

I mean if it never does that sucks but everyone makes mistakes.

Someone just called me a "beautiful human being" in the commands for a clever backing-up completion move.

vandaria

Reaction score
There's a bit of a luck factor when it comes to the card distribution.
I was referring to the command being "walk around the map a few times" If that was the literal command then why I said it was like the person didn't care/try. Otherwise omg yes I know I had several times the cards needed were on the total opposite side of the map. Or just the sets were so far dispersed with lots of obstacles. I wasn't trying to say those who were getting confused (myself included a few times) or who were trying and not getting any where or even those who got overwhelmed were not caring, it was again if they literally just said go do whatever and not even try.

Sybil

Reaction score
Title: Study Screener for Well-Being MUST be 18-30 years old (US only)(~ 2 minutes) | PANDA
Requester: Susan Mangan [A3DJJ8EFFLVXXF] (Req TV): $26.00/hr/hr
(TO): [Pay: N/A] [Fair: N/A] [Comm: N/A] [Fast: N/A]
Description:
Read a screener for a new study on well-being! Must be 18-30 years old, ~2 minutes
Time: 30 minutes(s)
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.20
Qualifications: Exc: [-511543520-127080] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 50; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 80; Location In US;

Amon

Contributor
Reaction score
I was referring to the command being "walk around the map a few times" If that was the literal command then why I said it was like the person didn't care/try. Otherwise omg yes I know I had several times the cards needed were on the total opposite side of the map. Or just the sets were so far dispersed with lots of obstacles. I wasn't trying to say those who were getting confused (myself included a few times) or who were trying and not getting any where or even those who got overwhelmed were not caring, it was again if they literally just said go do whatever and not even try.
Ah didn't run into that, worst I've gotten is getting no commands for the first three rounds. Just finished a 16 set game to round out the batch though =) I'm content now. Also apparently I quoted the wrong person with that comment, I think it was meant for mero, maybe I'm off in 3 pink diamond land.

Sybil

Reaction score
Title: Message Framing Strategy in the Charity Sector | PANDA
Requester: Rahul Govind [AKJL5M5R0NRRT] (Req TV): $12.59/hr/hr
(TO): [Pay: 3.40] [Fair: 5.00] [Comm: 1.00] [Fast: 5.00]
Description:
The survey is about your opinion on the campaign messaging strategy for environmental issues.
Time: 1 hour(s)
HITs Available: 1
Reward: $0.70
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThan 95; Location EqualTo US;

Status
Not open for further replies.