02/01 - Feta Friday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

katarina

Needs more coffee
Contributor
Reaction score
We burn wood and still have a $375 electric bill :cry: (plus a giant ass propane tank) UGH old houses.
Damn, that sucks! Old houses indeed.

To be fair, my house is only 1000 sq ft, so my woodburner makes quick work of it. Also my bf is in construction so he's made sure the house is insulated well. Before we put the woodburner in last year our winter bills would be 250-300. What's killin us now is the $150 water bill each month -_- sewer mandate my ass

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Judgment task | Accept
Requester: Jessica Lopez [A1HUTPIAIWG4LY] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$15.50] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=2.91] [Fast=4.67] [Comm=1.00] [Fair=5.00] [Reviews=18] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=8.49] [Pen=1.00 days] [Res=null] [Rec=100%] [Rej=0] [ToS=0] [Brk=0]
Reward: 0.45
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 36
Description: Answer questions about a scenario
Qualifications: HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 70; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.5.1
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Time: 02:00 Hourly: $13.49[/td][/tr]

savvy

goin' down to the yee-haw
Reaction score
Title: Participate in a 20 min research study | Accept
Requester: Sandro Ambuehl [A24DKBN2NIW1Y7] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$70.13] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.48] [Fast=4.96] [Comm=4.82] [Fair=4.96] [Reviews=103] [ToS=0]
Reward: 3.00
Duration: 2:00:00
Available: 1
Description: Participate in a 20 min research study
Qualifications: Total approved HITs GreaterThan 500; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 98; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
interesting, and I got the $2.00 bonus

Reactions: booboo33

katarina

Needs more coffee
Contributor
Reaction score
My FIL lives in a big old Victorian like you all have out in the Midwest, and uses a wood stove. Only heats the parts of the house he's in all the time.

This is an honest question b/c my east coast apartment living self can't understand, but how is it that his heating bill is never ever high and you all who use wood-stoves are? I sort of had thought it would be easier and cheaper to heat with the wood stove, and we've been actively looking for places with one. Is it just that he lives in like 2 rooms of the house when it's cold or what?

(He's got a furnace as well but he only runs it high enough to keep the pipes from bursting I think)
It depends on how well insulated the house is, how big it is, and how much of the house gets heated. Woodburners definitely help with the bill, I bet FrenchToasts bill would be higher without it. My bill was cut 1/3 since I put my woodburner in :) Your FIL only heats part of the house, and I dunno the situation he might have put new windows in and such which helps keep heat it, or may have done others things to help insulate better.

Reactions: Despairagus

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
My FIL lives in a big old Victorian like you all have out in the Midwest, and uses a wood stove. Only heats the parts of the house he's in all the time.

This is an honest question b/c my east coast apartment living self can't understand, but how is it that his heating bill is never ever high and you all who use wood-stoves are? I sort of had thought it would be easier and cheaper to heat with the wood stove, and we've been actively looking for places with one. Is it just that he lives in like 2 rooms of the house when it's cold or what?

(He's got a furnace as well but he only runs it high enough to keep the pipes from bursting I think)
Damn, that sucks! Old houses indeed.

To be fair, my house is only 1000 sq ft, so my woodburner makes quick work of it. Also my bf is in construction so he's made sure the house is insulated well. Before we put the woodburner in last year our winter bills would be 250-300. What's killin us now is the $150 water bill each month -_- sewer mandate my ass
Insulation is key!!!! I wish our house was an old Victorian, we may not have as bad of bills honestly. Our house was built as a schoolhouse/church in 1848 and has since been converted to a house (30 years ago) and we need new insulation and siding. However no one will touch it because there is apparently asbestos tiles on the exterior of our house. We put the woodstove in this year, but the duct systems in this house are shit - there isn't even heat vents in the rooms in the front of the house, so we have electric heaters going most the time, plus the blower on our woodstove plus fans to distribute that warm air.
Edit - we probably try to heat/maintain roughly 1/4 of our house (1500ish sq ft) there is an addition that has no insulation or heat plus a huge unfinished basement

Last edited:

Despairagus

Jorf Beeboos ???
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
It depends on how well insulated the house is, how big it is, and how much of the house gets heated. Woodburners definitely help with the bill, I bet FrenchToasts bill would be higher without it. My bill was cut 1/3 since I put my woodburner in :) Your FIL only heats part of the house, and I dunno the situation he might have put new windows in and such which helps keep heat it, or may have done others things to help insulate better.
No that house is going to be a heck of a project to inherit, it's definitely not updated. Copper pipes and fabric insulated wires etc even.

I'm going to call him later and ask him why his bill is cheaper. I'm starting to wonder if he's not just freezing in there all the time.

Our house was built as a schoolhouse/church in 1848
That sounds absolutely adorable! We're constantly looking at houses and old school houses or old churches are my favorite favorite!

turkleton

Muddarator
Reaction score
Last edited:

ChristopherASA

Contributor
Reaction score
Did this yesterday. This was not a fun hit. Took 3 hrs. Initial pay of $5.00. I thought I was going to die by the end of it. :dead:

Greetings from Amazon Mechanical Turk,

You've received a bonus from neuronoodle lab for work related to 3TCFMTM8HEZ8Y5C9H1PMLQH5FJU21G.
The value of your bonus is: $27.25 USD

The Requester included this note:
$10 base payment + $17.25 bonus

Thanks for being a Worker on Mechanical Turk!
Frigging EXCELLENT!!! So it must have been worth the pain. :) :celebrate2:

K'Lee

The Royal Taster
Contributor
Reaction score
Title: Brand Perceptions | Accept
Requester: Academic Study [A28ZKJB21ZU23N] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$15.81] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Unrated] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=3.69] [Fast=4.64] [Comm=4.33] [Fair=4.82] [Reviews=35] [ToS=0]
TO2: [Hrly=undefined] [Pen=10800] [Res=0,0,6] [Rec=3,3,6] [Rej=0,2,6] [ToS=0,6] [Brk=0,6]
Reward: 0.50
Duration: 1:00:00
Available: 478
Description: Brand Perceptions
Qualifications: Previousx DoesNotExist ; brandp DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 1000; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 99; Location EqualTo US
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.5.0
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
.[/td][/tr]

Reactions: WowyGirl and Sondi

FrenchToast

best thing since sliced bread
Reaction score
That sounds absolutely adorable! We're constantly looking at houses and old school houses or old churches are my favorite favorite!
I wanted to buy another old schoolhouse last summer, we actually were trying to figure out the logistics of moving 150 miles. It was in much nicer shape than ours, but way too far north to live year round.
I wish we could get the siding issue dealt with, it would make the house look much nicer for sure.

Reactions: Despairagus

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Title: Bidding Study 1: Participate in a study - $.65 HIT for 5-7 minutes of work.(~ 5 minutes) | Accept
Requester: Behavioral Lab [A2YCGKXGFSIR71] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$15.00] [Pay=Generous] [Approval=~24 hrs] [Comm=Excellent] [Rej=0] [Blk=0]
TO: [Pay=4.65] [Fast=4.95] [Comm=4.69] [Fair=4.96] [Reviews=127] [ToS=0]
TO2: No Reviews
Reward: 0.65
Duration: 30:00
Available: 2
Description: Most people complete this HIT in 5-7 minutes
Qualifications: Exc: [125538164-126765] DoesNotExist ; Total approved HITs GreaterThanOrEqualTo 100; b1536f2e DoesNotExist ; HIT approval rate (%) GreaterThanOrEqualTo 95; Location In US
[tr][td]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
Time: 02:51 Hourly: $13.66[/td][/tr]

Reactions: Kliq

Sondi

Goddess of soup
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
much happier with today's surveys than yesterday's :)

Status
Not open for further replies.