01/25 - Function Friday!

What operating system do you use to turk?

• Windows

• MacOS

• Linux

• ChromeOS (Chromebook)

• iOS/Android (mobile/tablet) and it's my primary device for turking

• iOS/Android (mobile/tablet) but it's not my primary device for turking

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Welcome to today's MTurk Crowd work thread!

Please check out the forum guidelines.

Maybe you need some help getting started?

Want more info about how the forum works?

Would you like to contribute an idea about the future of the forum? Feel free to share your thoughts here.

If you are interested in creating a daily thread, please tag @dibs to let everyone know that you would like to claim the next day. It is first come, first serve and thread must be created and posted by 3a EST/12a PST.

Please let a mod know if you have any questions, and have a great turking day! - MTC staff

xqyzt

Reaction score
Just sitting here thinking to myself how long it felt to get my first 500 hits and how quickly the "milestones" have come after that. Funny.

That and being screamed at in my face. Not a baby fan tonight.:arghh:

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
I haven't made that leap yet. Though it's in the plan to switch to the command line on at least one pc, eventually.:)
Definitely give Ubuntu a shot. I am running it on a piddly i3 laptop and it's much better than Windows (plus the learning part. For slower machines, I got a 14 year old PC desktop up and running and playing Youtube videos with Linux Lite, though it took some time to set up. With the newer distributions and standard hardware the initial setup is a breeze and most apps perform identically to their Windows versions.

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
Title: Determine if a message is ok for a person you just met online to say. | Accept
Requester: Noah [A1GZULXPTPEB8R] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$14.55] [Pay=3.72] [Fast=4.83] [Comm=3.40] [Rej=1] [ToS=0] [Blk=1]
TO: [Pay=2.95] [Fast=3.68] [Comm=2.47] [Fair=3.83] [Reviews=185] [ToS=2]
TO2: [Hrly=9.70] [Pen=2.24 days] [Res=35%] [Rec=38%] [Rej=8] [ToS=0] [Brk=18]
Reward: 0.35
Duration: 30:00
Available: 1
Description: Evaluate 10 or 11 messages to determine if they are ok for a person you just met online to say. (I:eek: single_turn_safety_1548368606)
Qualifications: Completed max message review HITs DoesNotExist ; CompletedMaxReviewEvals DoesNotExist ; Location In AU, CA, GB, NZ, US-AL, US-AR, US-DE, US-FL, US-GA, US-IA, US-KS, US-KY, US-LA, US-MD, US-MN, US-MO, US-MS, US-ND, US-NE, US-OK, US-SC, US-SD, US-TN, US-TX, US-VA, US-WV; max_time_on_noah_hits_per_day DoesNotExist
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.4.6
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]

Reactions: Azazael

Jamie Taylor

Reaction score
That gd fruit HIT did me dirty. "Will take 5-10 minutes to complete"

Halfway through, after having had to pee, I noticed there were only 8 minutes total given to complete the HIT. I didn't finish and had to return it.

Jamie Taylor

Reaction score
Title: Determine if a message is ok for a person you just met online to say. | Accept
Requester: Noah [A1GZULXPTPEB8R] Contact
TV: [Hrly=$14.55] [Pay=3.72] [Fast=4.83] [Comm=3.40] [Rej=1] [ToS=0] [Blk=1]
TO: [Pay=2.95] [Fast=3.68] [Comm=2.47] [Fair=3.83] [Reviews=185] [ToS=2]
TO2: [Hrly=9.70] [Pen=2.24 days] [Res=35%] [Rec=38%] [Rej=8] [ToS=0] [Brk=18]
Reward: 0.35
Duration: 30:00
Available: 1
Description: Evaluate 10 or 11 messages to determine if they are ok for a person you just met online to say. (I:eek: single_turn_safety_1548368606)
Qualifications: Completed max message review HITs DoesNotExist ; CompletedMaxReviewEvals DoesNotExist ; Location In AU, CA, GB, NZ, US-AL, US-AR, US-DE, US-FL, US-GA, US-IA, US-KS, US-KY, US-LA, US-MD, US-MN, US-MO, US-MS, US-ND, US-NE, US-OK, US-SC, US-SD, US-TN, US-TX, US-VA, US-WV; max_time_on_noah_hits_per_day DoesNotExist
[tr][td]
HIT exported from Mturk Suite v2.4.6
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td][/td][/tr]
Hey, Peachy. I asked on the other page if you could give me some advice on how to increase my PE, after you posted your PE. But the day changed right afterwards. I'm straining to reach $20.00 a day. Some days I reach $25.00, and only twice have I ever hovered over the $30.00 range, and barely at that. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to learn from as many good turkers as I possibly can, because I NEED this money, more than I can even get into.

Peachy

Banned
Pollster
Crowd Pleaser
Champion
Reaction score
Hey, Peachy. I asked on the other page if you could give me some advice on how to increase my PE, after you posted your PE. But the day changed right afterwards. I'm straining to reach $20.00 a day. Some days I reach $25.00, and only twice have I ever hovered over the $30.00 range, and barely at that. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to learn from as many good turkers as I possibly can, because I NEED this money, more than I can even get into.
I know you’re relatively new to turking right? What are your approved number of hits?

My advice is easy on paper, but sometimes hard after awhile in action. I force myself to finish whatever I have in my queue if possible. If it’s 2 hits and only 25 cents total... I still do it. “Every penny counts” is literally my motto when it comes to mTurk.

Now of course... within reason. I’m not going to do a 25 cent survey that takes 15 minutes. But if the survey says 5 mins and it’s for a quarter... sometimes I’ll take the plunge and see if I can complete it in 2-4m. Sometimes the survey is bad and this backfires, but I’m always scraping.

Are you primarily doing surveys or batches?

batches can add up change fast if it’s a decent one. PC is useful to panda batches, etc

Experience plays a part as well. you get use to certain requesters. how their hits work, etc. Experience also in the sense that requesters come and go and you have to force yourself to adapt to new ones overtime.

I’m all over the place right now. I know other people have probably given advice and I’m sure I’m repeating some of the stuff they’ve said. My inbox is open though

Last edited:

greg

Hey that tickles
Reaction score
I've had a couple of $50 Saturdays, but the average 2-hour morning stint (before I go to my day job) is around $5-10, and weekends where I can spend more time are usually around $25. A lot of it depends on the day and what shows up in the marketplace. I always sign up for the multi-day longitudinal studies, because those are like money in the bank. I have two going on right now - the flossing study and the helping study. They're only $.50/ea, but it's guaranteed $0.50 each every day for 7 days.

I don't do just MTurk. I always keep a tab open with Prolific going. That doesn't yield as much as MTurk, but they are often good studies (£1-3), and I've never had one rejected. I get about £10 per week on Prolific. I dabbled in swagbucks for a while, but I never got much with it and it seems that's only gift cards anyway - I want the cash in my bank account, not an amazon/best buy credit.

When it's slow in MTurk/Prolific, I go through and request qualifications and take tests. That will open up more HITs in your queue. Sometimes it feels like you're wasting your time, but there are new requesters creating new quals all the time, so it does make a difference.

Belkor

Reaction score
I've had a couple of $50 Saturdays, but the average 2-hour morning stint (before I go to my day job) is around $5-10, and weekends where I can spend more time are usually around $25. A lot of it depends on the day and what shows up in the marketplace. I always sign up for the multi-day longitudinal studies, because those are like money in the bank. I have two going on right now - the flossing study and the helping study. They're only $.50/ea, but it's guaranteed $0.50 each every day for 7 days.

I don't do just MTurk. I always keep a tab open with Prolific going. That doesn't yield as much as MTurk, but they are often good studies (£1-3), and I've never had one rejected. I get about £10 per week on Prolific. I dabbled in swagbucks for a while, but I never got much with it and it seems that's only gift cards anyway - I want the cash in my bank account, not an amazon/best buy credit.

When it's slow in MTurk/Prolific, I go through and request qualifications and take tests. That will open up more HITs in your queue. Sometimes it feels like you're wasting your time, but there are new requesters creating new quals all the time, so it does make a difference.
Have you ever received a qual by the request function? I heard they are extremely rare and I definitely never received a qual via that vector yet.

Reactions: greg

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.