Do you like bacon?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I received a rejection today, with the requester citing, "Does not meet requested age criteria".

Now I know I'm a noob, and I there's a lot I still don't get. But I've completed over 750 HITs, 675 of them approved, and I've never done a HIT that had an age requirement, that DIDN'T have a screener in the beginning, to make sure you're not wasting your time or theirs. Has anyone had this happen to them before? Is this yet some more mturk trickery that I have to watch out for?
That's pretty crappy if they didn't state that there was any sort of requirement and didn't screen you out. Who was the requester?

Reactions: Jerami and spchles1

spchles1

Reaction score
I received a rejection today, with the requester citing, "Does not meet requested age criteria".

Now I know I'm a noob, and I there's a lot I still don't get. But I've completed over 750 HITs, 675 of them approved, and I've never done a HIT that had an age requirement, that DIDN'T have a screener in the beginning, to make sure you're not wasting your time or theirs. Has anyone had this happen to them before? Is this yet some more mturk trickery that I have to watch out for?
Some of them can be a little sneaky with the age, I always expand the instructions really fast just to make sure, but usually the age requirement will be in the title.

Reactions: Jerami and aveline

DareAngel3

Contributor
Mentor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

Oh it definitely happens. I got one this week. I completed a survey that stated in the description it was for a different ethnicity than mine. Didn't halt me within the survey and I admittedly just rushed through that big information page and didn't read it. I think it even had the ethnicity in the title, but I was working half screen and didn't see all of it :ROFL: With human intelligence comes human idiocy. I don't think it was intentionally tricky, just poorly designed and the requester was trusting me to be diligent, and I failed. The safeguards are nice but they're technically not required to use them- it actually costs them money to use Amazon's advanced quals, I believe. I deserved the rejection, no complaints here.

Reactions: Jerami and spchles1

spchles1

Reaction score
Oh it definitely happens. I got one this week. I completed a survey that stated in the description it was for a different ethnicity than mine. Didn't halt me within the survey and I admittedly just rushed through that big information page and didn't read it. I think it even had the ethnicity in the title, but I was working half screen and didn't see all of it :ROFL: With human intelligence comes human idiocy. I don't think it was intentionally tricky, just poorly designed and the requester was trusting me to be diligent, and I failed. The safeguards are nice but they're technically not required to use them- it actually costs them money to use Amazon's advanced quals, I believe. I deserved the rejection, no complaints here.
I agree, I've actually done a hit for only women before. I didn't notice either, so obviously my fault. Sometimes we're just tired and not thinking straight

spchles1

Reaction score
Title: Categorize a human face | PANDA
Requester: Elie Bursztein [A2UZFQTEYPSCS4] (Contact)
TV: [Hrly: $19.90] [Pay: 4.14] [Fast: 5.00] [Comm: null] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Blk: 0]
TO: [Pay: 3.90] [Fast: 4.06] [Comm: 4.33] [Fair: 4.00] [Reviews: 42] [ToS: 0]
TO2: [Hrly: $7.20] [Pen: 0.02 days] [Res: ---] [Rec: 100% of 1] [Rej: 0] [ToS: 0] [Brk: 0]
Reward:
$0.08
Duration: 1 hour
Available: 1344
Description: Look at a human face and select the appropriate value for 10 facial attributes (hair color, eye color ...)
Requirements:

Did a lot of these on Tuesday, all approved/ Up to 8000 now

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerami and SHONA141

rsmath

Hatch Green Chile
Reaction score
Title: Categorize a human face | PANDA
Requester: Elie Bursztein [A2UZFQTEYPSCS4] (Contact)

Did a lot of these on Tuesday, all approved
maybe I'll try a few and make sure they are accepted. I saw this a few days ago and didn't try it because I was afraid of getting hair color or eye colors wrong given there is usually not much difference in some colors or the lighting conditions of the photo were poor leading to a potential wrong choice.

Jamie Taylor

Reaction score
That's pretty crappy if they didn't state that there was any sort of requirement and didn't screen you out. Who was the requester?
Maggie Brennan. I contacted her, and explained how every HIT that I've ever seen that has an age stipulation, has always had an age screener at the beginning, before you even take the survey. I asked if she would reverse the rejection and if not, if she would please email me, explaining why she can't. Time will tell. I agree. That was lousy not to give a head's up on the age criteria. It was a waste of my time AND hers, so it makes NO sense. And in my case, no cents...0.25 to be exact.

Reactions: Jerami

spchles1

Reaction score
wow those Elie hits went from 14k to 0 in like 10 minutes. Surely there isn't that many people on tonight. I wonder if he pulled them

Reactions: Brovaries

Brovaries

Wake-N-..Turk
Reaction score
I got back on to see if there was anything interesting. Was about to get into the Elie batch but I only snagged 2 of them :(

spchles1

Reaction score
I got back on to see if there was anything interesting. Was about to get into the Elie batch but I only snagged 2 of them :(
She must have pulled them, because it was at 14K a few minutes ago. I ended up getting 32 of them

Reactions: Jamie Taylor

Jamie Taylor

Reaction score
I did that one, and it did ask ethnicity. As soon as I checked Caucasian, it said, "You need to get your cracker ass out of here." I'm paraphrasing, of course. But it did have the decency to ask for my ethnicity, BEFORE I was allowed to continue. When they don't, the blame should fall on the contributor, not us, the ones who are slaving away at our keyboards, for nickles and dimes. I'm averaging $20.00 to $25.00 a day, but I don't have a job at the moment, and I'm on the computer all day. Not mturking every minute. But as much as I'm on the site, I should be making $40.00 a day.

At this rate, I won't be able to take my trip to Colorado for another six months or more. I'm going there for um...research.

Reactions: cb456

Jamie Taylor

Reaction score
She must have pulled them, because it was at 14K a few minutes ago. I ended up getting 32 of them
I managed to get a whopping 4. Watch out, bank account. You've got 0.32 headed your way! Those were some of the easiest HITs I've done all day.

spchles1

Reaction score
I managed to get a whopping 4. Watch out, bank account. You've got 0.32 headed your way! Those were some of the easiest HITs I've done all day.
Maybe she will put them on later. 32 cents more than you had. :)

jklmnop

data sanitation engineer
Reaction score
Still trying to figure out everyone's big deal about Sriracha. That is some weak stuff! Might explain why Taco Bell is so well loved in America - if you live in the southwest U.S., it's bland and boring. If you live elsewhere, it's considered spicy or hot.
Make some sriracha mayo and report back.

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

Don't know if anyone responded but, in the HIT instructions(on the page you land on when accepting or starting or submitting)sometimes has instructions, including age, that you do need to look for. You also need to read those instructions, that are sometimes collapsed and need to be expanded, as they'll say all kinds of other prerequisites, codes, passwords, etc.:) NBD. Live and learn I've got 2 for age issues in my early days.

EDIT I see everyone responded.:p

Last edited:
Reactions: spchles1

Jerami

Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Maggie Brennan. I contacted her, and explained how every HIT that I've ever seen that has an age stipulation, has always had an age screener at the beginning, before you even take the survey. I asked if she would reverse the rejection and if not, if she would please email me, explaining why she can't. Time will tell. I agree. That was lousy not to give a head's up on the age criteria. It was a waste of my time AND hers, so it makes NO sense. And in my case, no cents...0.25 to be exact.
Sometimes they build their studies based on previous studies, by replacing the body. They write the demo bit as generic as possible so that it can be reused. It's a lot of times part of the template they're given by their senior lab assistant/professor/downloaded. I didn't see the HIT so, not sure if it was collapsed in the instructions but, if you use HIT Tracker, you could bring up the saved HIT by going to the History, then daily, then expand today, then look for the HIT on the list. On the line of the HIT, halfway, there will be a "src" button. This is helpful, as if you mouse-over, it can show you some info like the code you entered(not always) and if you click it, it will bring up a saved version of the HIT window. You can double check instructions(expand if necessary) and even open the study sometimes with the link(incognito) to see if it's in the consent page that we are supposed to read.

Sorry about the rejection but, I hope this helps a little.:)

Last edited:

Jamie Taylor

Reaction score
Don't know if anyone responded but, in the HIT instructions(on the page you land on when accepting or starting or submitting)sometimes has instructions, including age, that you do need to look for. You also need to read those instructions, that are sometimes collapsed and need to be expanded, as they'll say all kinds of other prerequisites, codes, passwords, etc.:) NBD. Live and learn I've gotten 2 for age issues in my early days.

EDIT I see everyone responded.:p
I am definitely going to follow you. You give a lot of sage advice, every time you respond to my posts. Reading instructions is SO difficult for me, because I have the attention span of a four year old child. Sometimes, I'll even find myself having to return HITs, because I can't make myself read two entire paragraphs, explaining how the survey works. It might as well be calculus sometimes. It makes me feel like a moron, especially when I find that HIT later, FORCE myself to read the instructions again, and think, "Seriously!? It was that simple?"

Status
Not open for further replies.