01/02 - Maniacal Monday!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cassius

Reaction score
Amazon would be required to share sensitive financial information with the EU would depend on the specific circumstances and the requirements of DAC7. As for the potential impact on gig economy workers, it's difficult to say without more information. DAC7 could potentially affect gig economy workers if it requires companies that engage with gig workers to disclose certain information about those workers to tax authorities. However, again, the specifics would depend on the specific requirements of DAC7 and how they are implemented.
articles i found states that is what they are going after. section 15, 16, 17 of that directive are rather questionable as to if this is going to give the IRS permission or "demands" that our tax info is turned over to them. this is a world economy now. done digitally for the most part. that is why cash is so important. if it's not held physically in one's hand, it can disappear at the whim of the powers that be. and we've seen some of those cases recently.

PandaThief

Reaction score
articles i found states that is what they are going after. section 15, 16, 17 of that directive are rather questionable as to if this is going to give the IRS permission or "demands" that our tax info is turned over to them. this is a world economy now. done digitally for the most part. that is why cash is so important. if it's not held physically in one's hand, it can disappear at the whim of the powers that be. and we've seen some of those cases recently.

It's not clear to me how DAC7 could potentially give the IRS in the United States permission to access sensitive financial information. DAC7 is a directive that applies to EU member states, and it's not clear to me how it could have direct impacts on individuals or companies outside of the EU.

Reactions: Mikey Chlanda

cassius

Reaction score
It's not clear to me how DAC7 could potentially give the IRS in the United States permission to access sensitive financial information. DAC7 is a directive that applies to EU member states, and it's not clear to me how it could have direct impacts on individuals or companies outside of the EU.
That's true. however why was that favorite trick of putting the bad news out on weekends or holidays used here? because they had until dec 31, 22 and that fell on a holiday? sure. this has been knows for almost two years and this is the first we are hearing about it? we will have to wait and see if amazon is forthcoming in info and explanation about this. but are they ever? the "gig" economy is large. perhaps this will become a class action suit and be settled out in court. and if it doesn't concern us, then why is it plastered all over our page?

Reactions: PandaThief

cassius

Reaction score
So are we suppose to fill out this DAC7 thing or not.
depends on how much of an individualist you are. i'm waiting for a reasonable explanation. the us is not a member of the eu. so, why do we owe it anything in the way of taxes? don't they already collect a vat tax for that?

Reactions: alk69

alk69

Reaction score
depends on how much of an individualist you are. i'm waiting for a reasonable explanation. the us is not a member of the eu. so, why do we owe it anything in the way of taxes? don't they already collect a vat tax for that?
It looks to me like the EU is trying to tax foreigners who do online work for EU member nations groups. I doubt that I've done enough surveys for German universities to reach a taxable amount. Most of my work for outside nationals is from British or Asian universities.
As for Amazon's notice....well they are all about protecting Amazon's backside and dumping it all on the workers to figure out. Thus relieving them of any responsibility
You've got two months, so wait and see....as Cassius says.

Reactions: Blakkat and cassius

Mikey Chlanda

Reaction score
LOL, I just totaled my surveys from yesterday and it came out to $6.66.
years ago there was a local coffee shop I hung out at - if you ordered bacon eggs large coffee and a NY times, it came to $6.66. I came in every dayand ordered the devil's breakfast. Name stuck until they raised prices. But I was proud to have my creation on their menu board

cassius

Reaction score
It looks to me like the EU is trying to tax foreigners who do online work for EU member nations groups. I doubt that I've done enough surveys for German universities to reach a taxable amount. Most of my work for outside nationals is from British or Asian universities.
As for Amazon's notice....well they are all about protecting Amazon's backside and dumping it all on the workers to figure out. Thus relieving them of any responsibility
You've got two months, so wait and see....as Cassius says.
like i said, though, we may see a deduction in what requesters pay us from foreign nations because amazon may possibly take it off the top as, I have no idea, but perhaps the company itself will be held for those taxes.
???

Reactions: jenu and alk69

PandaThief

Reaction score
So are we suppose to fill out this DAC7 thing or not.
I just went ahead and submitted the info despite the fact it seems ...

it doesn't apply to MTurk workers
I do not live in the EU

Either way, it took less than a minute to fill it out and submit

jenu

Reaction score
do we still have a moderator?

Last edited:
Reactions: HelloHello

cassius

Reaction score
I just went ahead and submitted the info despite the fact it seems ...

it doesn't apply to MTurk workers
I do not live in the EU

Either way, it took less than a minute to fill it out and submit
https://www.globalvatcompliance.com/globalvatnews/australia-new-gst-rules-from-july-2022/

that would work if it didn't apply to us, but according to this as mturk workers it does. the article is australian. are they under united kingdom rules. this does state they are attempting to come up with their own considerations. and how much work do we do from australia? and again, the united kingdom has its own thing like dac 7 but it's been postponed a year, kind of like our 600/reporting.

alk69

Reaction score
like i said, though, we may see a deduction in what requesters pay us from foreign nations because amazon may possibly take it off the top as, I have no idea, but perhaps the company itself will be held for those taxes.
???
You used to see a block at 600 dollars by requesters for the 1099-miss. that begins at 600. Then they popped up the 1099-k with a 20,000 base. Now we are going to have a 1099-k at 600. I would guess that many requesters will limit payouts to the 600 again, to avoid the trouble of dealing with tax paperwork. I'd bet that this will happen with other countries too. ........all in all it means less work offered to workers....You can also assume that Amazon will do as little as possible in this whole squabble.
And just to add a bleak take on the whole deal, aggressive efforts to tax the gig worker's back pocket tips, will (is presently pushing) such work into the shade of hidden pay and cash only tips. The effort to steal a bit more is already failing. The world still runs on cash and barter. As always.

Reactions: HelloHello

PandaThief

Reaction score
https://www.globalvatcompliance.com/globalvatnews/australia-new-gst-rules-from-july-2022/

that would work if it didn't apply to us, but according to this as mturk workers it does. the article is australian. are they under united kingdom rules. this does state they are attempting to come up with their own considerations. and how much work do we do from australia? and again, the united kingdom has its own thing like dac 7 but it's been postponed a year, kind of like our 600/reporting.
so much confusion over this ugh

Reactions: cassius

cassius

Reaction score
You used to see a block at 600 dollars by requesters for the 1099-miss. that begins at 600. Then they popped up the 1099-k with a 20,000 base. Now we are going to have a 1099-k at 600. I would guess that many requesters will limit payouts to the 600 again, to avoid the trouble of dealing with tax paperwork. I'd bet that this will happen with other countries too. ........all in all it means less work offered to workers....You can also assume that Amazon will do as little as possible in this whole squabble.
And just to add a bleak take on the whole deal, aggressive efforts to tax the gig worker's back pocket tips, will (is presently pushing) such work into the shade of hidden pay and cash only tips. The effort to steal a bit more is already failing. The world still runs on cash and barter. As always.
except the gig economy where we almost have to be paid digitally unless someone wants to print checks and pay to mail them. Yes, now the ideal thing to do if one can trust one's neighbors, is set up that cash/barter ecomomy. form local groups, get those food coops going like the Amish have. cash only. always cash. if we don't, we're doomed. i've heard it said three sides of the digital prison are up and the forth one is closing and when it does, game over.

cassius

Reaction score
If I keep having 30 cent days I don't think I'll be too worried about filling out this DAC7 form.
except it's expected and apparently demanded. waiting for someone from amazon or somewhere to give a good explanation.

Mikey Chlanda

Reaction score
except the gig economy where we almost have to be paid digitally unless someone wants to print checks and pay to mail them. Yes, now the ideal thing to do if one can trust one's neighbors, is set up that cash/barter ecomomy. form local groups, get those food coops going like the Amish have. cash only. always cash. if we don't, we're doomed. i've heard it said three sides of the digital prison are up and the forth one is closing and when it does, game over.
Cash is how lots avoid taxes. That's why the government wants to track cash, crypto, stock investments, etc. I had to get an exemption from the 10K cash deposit form when I ran a restaurant - I was depositing that several days a week.
One uses our roads, our schools educate one's workers (or the ones that provide goods & services), our military protects our country, cops and firefighters protect us personally, etc. Shouldn't one contribute to the greater good?

Status
Not open for further replies.