Vintage Photos Thread

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
Those are great! I am in the process of archiving all my dad's/grandma's photos for my family since they have passed. Will def share some soon! :)
I have sooooooo many, but these are my favourites. Also, a lot of them are from the later '60s and 70s and I wasn't sure those counted as vintage.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I have sooooooo many, but these are my favourites. Also, a lot of them are from the later '60s and 70s and I wasn't sure those counted as vintage.
Vintage is a loose term. I totally count anything before 1980! Post away. :D

Reactions: Tribune

electrolyte

The Ghost of MTurk Past
Contributor
Reaction score
This one has fascinated me for years:

The offices of the Central Social Institution of Prague, Czechoslovakia with the largest vertical letter file in the world. Consisting of cabinets arranged from floor to ceiling tiers covering over 4000 square feet containing over 3000 drawers 10 feet long. It has electric operated elevator desks which rise, fall and move left or right at the push of a button. to stop just before drawer desired. The drawers also open and close electronically. Thus work which formerly taxed 400 workers is now done by 20 with a minimum of effort.

Photographer: UPPA/Photoshot
Date Created:04/25/1937
Location Information: Czech Republic
Credit: © UPPA/Photoshot
http://www.bciusa.com/view_image.jsp?img_id=101869

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
My mom left home when she was 16 and spent the next few years hitch hiking. She didn't take a lot of pictures but the ones she did take I am completely obsessed with.

This one is my favorite, but it's also kind of heart breaking. She'd taken a job working at someone's tennis club and the guy who owned it had let her set up her tent behind the club. Then she took a job working at a construction site. So she was living in this tent and working two jobs. Then it started to rain, and she got permission to add on to her tent, and then it started to SNOW... so she made this thing.

So that's her next to her tent house thing, in the dead of winter, looking like a total bad ass Alaska bush person.

essjay

Filthy Casual
Contributor
Reaction score
My mom left home when she was 16 and spent the next few years hitch hiking. She didn't take a lot of pictures but the ones she did take I am completely obsessed with.
Holy crap, you can tell she's your mom. Wow.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

This one is my favorite, but it's also kind of heart breaking. She'd taken a job working at someone's tennis club and the guy who owned it had let her set up her tent behind the club. Then she took a job working at a construction site. So she was living in this tent and working two jobs. Then it started to rain, and she got permission to add on to her tent, and then it started to SNOW... so she made this thing.

So that's her next to her tent house thing, in the dead of winter, looking like a total bad ass Alaska bush person.
WOW! Love these.

Pippa

All things lovely and beautiful.
Contributor
Reaction score

What an awesome independent young woman she was! A free spirit.

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Today I give you American Harlem Jazz photographer and painter, Roy DeCarava 1919-2009.
This is a one of my favorite photographs of all time that graces the cover of one of my favorite photobooks of all time,The Sound I Saw.

Photographer: Roy DeCarava, Gloria Lynne, Harlem, New York City, 1960's

From DeCarava.org:

“Roy photographed for himself, and ultimately produced a body of work that enshrined the social contradictions of the 50s, the explosion of improvisational jazz music in the 60s, the struggle for social equity, the bold faced stridency of the 70s and 80s, only to turn to even more contemplative and serene realities during the later years of his life," Mrs. DeCarava said in a statement. "Powerful and serene, his approach to the medium heralded a new, artistically and emotionally driven context for creative photography. His contribution to American photography and culture is manifold.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Tribune and Jaded

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
I found these today while I was browsing for wall paper for my desk top.

They're shots from the after math of an atomic bomb test, and they are creepy as hell.

Last edited:

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
I want a Pie Automat in my neighborhood! Ok in my loft.
From a slideshow of vintage New York City photos at Conde Nast Traveler.

Photographer: Berenice Abbott, Automat, 977 Eighth Avenue, Manhattan

coffeeowl

hoo?
Contributor
Mentor
Master Pleaser
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score