Rep Present SelfConcept $60 10 Hour HIT Discussion

weisian

Requester
Reaction score
They should be available to everyone, but just email the selfreg account and I'll try and help.

FatsTurkson

Reaction score
i emailed a William, and they stated if i couldn't get into the check in hit im basically out of luck.. Im noticing that i can pull the Check in hit up on incognito mode through my browser, but when i sign in i cant see it. The person i spoke to earlier stated i didn't have any blocks for the hit, yet im having so much trouble which seems account specific.

FatsTurkson

Reaction score
Now that i actually see the "check in hit" i believe i accepted it by mistake some time ago and returned it. im hoping this doesn't mean the inevitable SOL status im trying to avoid.

Teri A.

Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread where people could ask questions about this HIT (or complain, or talk about how awesome this HIT is, whatever). It also goes by "Behavioral Study of Cognitive Function". I'm a researcher involved in the project.

Below I've put some comments I've made before in regard to previous comments in the Daily HIT threads as a reference. This will hopefully make it easier for new people thinking about this HIT to find information, especially as I roll out new HITs in the future.

Check-In

We have implemented a check-in system where you must complete a separate HIT (linked from the $60 HIT) to proceed. This separate HIT takes no time, and pays nothing. Its only point is to make sure we can track you so that we can communicate with you if needed and pay you at the end should you fail to complete the entire battery.

Communication

This HIT has had some technical issues in the original roll out. While I have dealt with most of them (thanks in part to communication from this site and the turkers working), but others may present themselves. I will always update the Ad at the beginning of the HIT with updates so please read that if you are participating.

Time Estimate

This HIT does actually take 10 hours. This seems to be the main dissapointment among turkers, where people think I am only saying it takes 10 hours, but you can actually do it in 6 hours (or something). This is not the case. It will take around 10 hours.

How do we know that? The 10 hour estimate was originally based on our pilot work, but we have changed the list of tasks a bit so things could change. When last I looked, the people who had run through the tasks so far (20 or so people having gotten to each task), if I average the amount of time taken on each task and sum them I get 5.6 hours. This doesn't include surveys (there are ~20 surveys). I don't have info on how long each survey takes, but if they each take an average of 10 minutes, we'd still only be at 9 hours, and I doubt people spend 10 minutes on average across all surveys (some surveys have 1 question, some have 40).

The time estimate I gave above does not include instruction time for each task. I'd imagine that each task (not surveys) should take at least 2 minutes of instruction time. If that's true, and there are 35 tasks I believe, that's around another hour and ten minutes. So let's guess 7 hours plus survey time.

It is difficult to perfectly determine how long such a long HIT takes, but we believe we've been slightly conservative with our 10 hour estimate. There will be a bit of wiggle room, but most tasks take a set amount of time regardless of how you take them.

Payment and Submission (and bonuses)

I saw a post about finishing the 63 tasks and the HIT suddenly moving to a blank screen and removed from your queue. We didn't handle the submission process the best, so I understand that this can be a bit confusing. Regardless, what's going on is that the HIT is submitted, and most of the time is automatically verified and credited. Once in a while our code screws up (there are some timing issues coordinating with Mturk's site) and I have to go in afterwards to manually approve. Either way, don't worry! Your work is almost certainly submitted.

And I'll just mention this here - the HIT mentions bonuses. The bonuses will take a little bit for us to get to, but we will get to them! I know immediate payment is preferable, but this part takes a little more work. Bonuses normally range from $5-$15, depending on performance. I'll code up the "bonus calculator" and get them out as soon as possible - hopefully no later than a week after the end date for this HIT (next Thursday), but hopefully much earlier!

Will we have more HITs?

Yes (as of 7/26). We will have 4 more rounds of HITs.

Finally, I'd like to say how appreciate I've been of this community (and the broader community like people who post on turkopticon). It is refreshing to see people care about their work and care about their community such that they keep each other informed.
Hi:

I completed the hit and it isn't showing on my MTurk ledger. It's stuck on "Loading next hit" and the link says "External submit". I emailed and haven't received a reply. There wasn't a code to input on the hit page. After I hit finished the main hit page was gone.

Thanks!

Teri

ducky

good brain, good life
Mentor
Contributor
Reaction score
Hi:

I completed the hit and it isn't showing on my MTurk ledger. It's stuck on "Loading next hit" and the link says "External submit". I emailed and haven't received a reply. There wasn't a code to input on the hit page. After I hit finished the main hit page was gone.

Thanks!

Teri
is it still in your queue? if it isn't, check the day that you accepted (not completed) the HIT, it should be there

Reactions: weisian

weisian

Requester
Reaction score
Hi all,

We are done collecting data (at least for the time being). Thank you all for participating! I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by how nice the data looks so far. Almost all of you seemed to genuinely try to do the tasks to the best of your ability. We really appreciate it!

selfreg

Requester
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am one of the researchers involved in running the follow-up HIT for $60 you may have read about. I'm happy to answer any questions here or by email. A few quick clarifications:

1. If you've accepted the HIT last night please return them. There was a technical error with them and all HITs from last night have been expired early.

2. The follow-up is only for a subset of the workers who have completed the original 10-hour battery. You must have received a message from us if you have the qualification.

3. Advice on cookies errors: If you have issues with cookies, we have a few suggestions. Most simply, others have had success just trying at a later time. Others have had success adding expfactory.org to google chrome's cookie exceptions. Go to settings -> content settings -> Cookies -> manage exceptions and add "expfactory.org". Also make sure your ad-block is off and you aren't in incognito. Others have found interference from particular extensions. You may try disabling your extensions to get the HIT to work.

Thank you all for your interest!

nopoopwarez

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello, I know that this HIT was run several times between September and August. Is the follow-up only open to workers who completed it on a specific month/date? Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

selfreg

Requester
Reaction score
Hello, I know that this HIT was run several times between September and August. Is the follow-up only open to workers who completed it on a specific month/date? Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.
Hi there! Yes it is only open for a small subset of workers who have been contacted separately.

Reactions: nopoopwarez

SleepComa

Drifting through the stars...
Reaction score
Hey guys!! How can I signup to do any of your hits? I never catch any >_>

MMMTurk

Reaction score
Does everyone that completed the previous HIT receive a message about qualifying for the new HIT?

ETA: I completed the HIT in September but haven't received any message.

Last edited:

MindNumbing

Contributor
Reaction score
What qualified certain participants to be able to do another one of these hits?

Reactions: DesolationRow

Matilda Jones

Grey Ghost
Contributor
Reaction score
I emailed this morning around 9 am about a problem where I cannot advance after completing one of the tasks (the "fishing game"). I completed all of the tasks in the battery, and it says 0/63 remaining, but when I click "finish," nothing happens. I have about an hour left on the timer and haven't received a response via email yet. I have no way to submit the HIT since when I go back to the HIT window it just takes me back to the start of the fishing game which I've already done twice. Hopefully someone out there will see this so I can get credit for completing all of the tasks within the time limit.
Edit: my prayers were answered. It just randomly went through. :)

Last edited:

Alexandra H

Reaction score
Hello. I inquired a few months ago about your HITs and was unable to catch one. I am wondering if you will be posting a qualifying HIT, or if you intend to draw only from a pool of previous participants? Hoping to take a HIT in the future.

Reactions: Sik06