Game of Thrones Weekly Discussion

What storyline are you most interested in watching this year

• Total voters

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
One of my friends texted me after watching the episode, and was like, "See, I KNEW Jon was Robert's son!!"

I was wondering, since the high sparrow wasn't letting anyone leave, and he had his arms raised up while getting blasted, did he KNOW what Cersei was up to? It seemed like he knew they were all about to die, especially while Margaery was freaking the fuck out.

To me, I think he wouldn't let anyone leave because it would undermine his authority if he just let everyone leave especially when Margaery broke her sweet, pure woman act. Then the rumblings started and it clicked and he was like "well shit, nothing to do now but embrace it."

Lepi

Some Kind of Sneaky Witch Thief
Contributor
Reaction score
MisterEgo is watching a shark week show narrated by Cersei... this feels weirdly appropriate.

Now that the dust has settled and I've had time to look back over the episode, I can't help but feel that the blowing up of the sept felt...I dunno, weirdly anti-climactic? Don't get me wrong, it was awesome and unexpected, but I felt like they had laid the ground work for a longer story line with Margery and Tommen and the faith, and then they literally blew that shit up. I had settled in for more of that good old fashioned plotting and string pulling, and I feel like there was probably more story to tell there.

At the same time, blowing the sept up was just...raw. And unexpected. And powerful. And I like that I'm left pondering Cersei so much. She was torn up over Joffery, she was gutted over Mercella, but when Tommen died it felt like she KNEW it was going to happen and just didn't care. Like she had already realized that he was doomed and had finally snapped.

Reactions: LightningLord

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Like she had already realized that he was doomed and had finally snapped.

That's what I was thinking. She finally seemed to accept that prophecy and gave up. It didn't matter anymore what happened, she was losing Tommen anyway (the prophecy) and especially when he threw her under the 'no trial by combat' bus.

Lepi

Contributor
Reaction score
That's what I was thinking. She finally seemed to accept that prophecy and gave up. It didn't matter anymore what happened, she was losing Tommen anyway (the prophecy) and especially when he threw her under the 'no trial by combat' bus.
I'm trying to decide how malicious her intent towards Tommen was as the end.

She didn't directly kill him, or let him go to the Sept, but she also didn't make any effort to have him brought to her. She just sent the Mountain to keep him in his room, which left him with a perfect view of the Sept getting blown up. On the surface it looks like she was trying to protect him, but what if she was purposefully trying to fuck with him? When you look back over the episode, there's a distinct possibility that she was being intentionally cruel to her son for betraying her.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide how malicious her intent towards Tommen was as the end.

She didn't directly kill him, or let him go to the Sept, but she also didn't make any effort to have him brought to her. She just sent the Mountain to keep him in his room, which left him with a perfect view of the Sept getting blown up. On the surface it looks like she was trying to protect him, but what if she was purposefully trying to fuck with him? When you look back over the episode, there's a distinct possibility that she was being intentionally cruel to her son for betraying her.

I want to believe that she wasn't being intentionally cruel, but that her desire for revenge overwhelmed her maternal instinct that would have been shouting TOMMEN NEEDS YOU.

But it's Cersei we're talking about so...

Lepi

Contributor
Reaction score
I want to believe that she wasn't being intentionally cruel, but that her desire for revenge overwhelmed her maternal instinct that would have been shouting TOMMEN NEEDS YOU.

But it's Cersei we're talking about so...
Hahaha... I guess I'm the exact opposite, I'm hoping that she snapped so damn hard that she's just become a rage beast. I think they're setting up for this beautiful Mad King parallel here.

After all, her response to the Faith was BURN THEM ALL.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
Hahaha... I guess I'm the exact opposite, I'm hoping that she snapped so damn hard that she's just become a rage beast. I think they're setting up for this beautiful Mad King parallel here.

After all, her response to the Faith was BURN THEM ALL.

Oh yeah, she has Mad Queen written all over her, but I don't know if she fell over that edge just before or just after Tommen's death.

edit: Although I guess technically blowing up the Sept indicates just before. But there might have still been a little left? I don't know where I was going with this.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
When you look back over the episode, there's a distinct possibility that she was being intentionally cruel to her son for betraying her.

Okay, now that I've sat here and thought about it (your fault.) I feel like she was probably being intentionally cruel, but didn't realize just how far she had pushed Tommen and probably didn't expect his suicide. Now she'll be full Mad Queen with no restrictions.

Unless Jaime goes all Queenslayer on her.

Reactions: MerryLou

Lepi

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh yeah, she has Mad Queen written all over her, but I don't know if she fell over that edge just before or just after Tommen's death.

edit: Although I guess technically blowing up the Sept indicates just before. But there might have still been a little left? I don't know where I was going with this.
She's off the deep end either way, so the end result may be the same. But I love pondering her character evolution during those last few episodes.

I guess the biggest question you have to ask is...was Cersei's intention to take the throne, or was she just trying to eliminate what she perceived as a threat to her family? It seems like a tiny distinction but it makes such a big difference overall.

In one instance, you have a mother going to great lengths to protect her son. Ultimately failing, despite her best efforts. His death severing that last little bit of restraint and maybe even sanity. It paints the picture of someone who is primarily driven by some sense of grief and loss.

In the other, you have a woman who has been systematically fucked over to the point that she can't stand it any more. She's driven by anger at EVERYONE, including her son, because she realizes that even her son has turned on her. So she made the choice to eliminate ALL of her perceived enemies and take power for herself.

I'm kind of leaning towards the latter of the two. When she climbs those stairs and sits on that throne, I didn't get the impression that she was surprised to find herself there. I felt like THAT was her plan from the start. I don't think her plan was "Get rid of obnoxious dirty sparrow people, then my son will listen to me and love me again." It felt like the throne was her goal all along.

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score

I will keep this thread alive until next year by gods
ha! I definitely felt some Belle vibes in that scene

Reactions: j0e

j0e

Bounty Turker
Contributor
Reaction score
library scene was so sick
Was happy for Sam! I do wonder what he plans on doing when his father/brother inevitably come for Heartsbane. I thought he was just going to head straight North to get them to follow him. Not sure he's fully thought this through. Maybe the Citadel will protect him? :shrug:

Reactions: Jaded

j0e

Bounty Turker
Contributor
Reaction score
If anyone plays, someone tabbed out The Light of the Seven. Fun and simple song. The soundtrack this season was phenomenal. Them feels :cry:

Reactions: LexDigg and Jaded

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
My two cents.

I really thought, for a thrilling second, that the mountain was going to rip little Tommen in two when he placed his hand on his shoulder. Implying, I guess, that my brain decided that Cersei had truly decided to fuck all. Seriously tho, does she really think she's got any power on the throne? Who's going to even give her the time of day? And, I was so dissapointed that Jamie didn't just turn around and leave at the end. Bah!

I keep wondering about Sam becoming a Maester because he just doesn't have enough TIME for that. But then I remember Jon telling him to find a way to defeat the whitewalkers... and then I think, dragons, duh! Amiright? There must be something that makes sense for him to be there but I hope that wraps up quickly.

So fucking excited about a Hound/Arya reunion btw. :swing:

Jaded

The real themildone
Administrator
Reaction score
I really thought, for a thrilling second, that the mountain was going to rip little Tommen in two when he placed his hand on his shoulder. Implying, I guess, that my brain decided that Cersei had truly decided to fuck all.
I thought the same thing!

Reactions: MerryLou

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Unless Jaime goes all Queenslayer on her.
This would be awesome and so great for like a full circle type deal.

AND Cersei's Prophecy- "And when your tears have drowned you, the valonqar shall wrap his hands about your pale white throat and choke the life from you."

So valonqr is "Little Brother", and Jaime is technically her younger brother. I always considered this to be Tyrion or Tommen, (since Maggy was talking about Cersei's kids right before this) but now I love the idea of it being Jaime. Obviously it won't be Tommen ....:cliff:

edit: google tells me I'm late on this idea but WHATEVER GOOGLE

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaded