Forum issues/feature requests thread

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
I swear live update skips posts sometimes. Occasionally I go to refresh and SURPRISE, there's a post above the one I clicked that wasn't there previously.

I haven't seen anyone else say anything about it so I'm inclined to believe it's just my computer, but I thought I'd mention just in case.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
I swear live update skips posts sometimes. Occasionally I go to refresh and SURPRISE, there's a post above the one I clicked that wasn't there previously.

I haven't seen anyone else say anything about it so I'm inclined to believe it's just my computer, but I thought I'd mention just in case.
I haven't noticed anything like this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a bug. There are a few known issues with that addon. But unfortunately, all of my attempts at getting support for that addon have been completely ignored by the developer, so it's just something that we're going to have to deal with.

Reactions: Tigerpants

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't noticed anything like this, but it wouldn't surprise me if it's a bug. There are a few known issues with that addon. But unfortunately, all of my attempts at getting support for that addon have been completely ignored by the developer, so it's just something that we're going to have to deal with.
Ew yuck, thanks for the info though.

Business Cat

Catipalist
Contributor
Reaction score
A question and a suggestion -
Is there a trick to getting imgur gifs to show correctly?
--- I kind of answered it myself, for some reason the insert image button doesn't make it work correctly, but manually entering it BBcode style does work. Seems kind of fucky, it should work the same either way?

Can you put a 'preview' link/button below the quick reply box? As it is now it's kind of a pain to preview before posting.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
A question and a suggestion -
Is there a trick to getting imgur gifs to show correctly?
--- I kind of answered it myself, for some reason the insert image button doesn't make it work correctly, but manually entering it BBcode style does work. Seems kind of fucky, it should work the same either way?

Can you put a 'preview' link/button below the quick reply box? As it is now it's kind of a pain to preview before posting.
I'm sorry for the really late reply. I'm not even sure how I missed this. The insert image button has always worked for me, so I'm not sure why it would be causing problems. But if you click the 'More Options...' button below the quick reply box, you'll see a Preview button.

Reactions: Business Cat

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
aveline @aveline

Might be related to Kad's forum tools or the exports. The quoted text disappeared after someone posted a HIT in the thread. Going to other pages in the thread and forcing a reload didn't bring the quoted text back, but closing the tab and coming back to the site did.

Edit: Maybe not. I signed on today, it was fine, then moved back a page in the thread, quoted a post, and put in an emote and an image in a response and posted it. The problem showed up after that. Again, reloading didn't help but closing the tab and opening it again fixed it immediately.

Edit: Also this happens sometimes.

I'm just curious, do you still have this issue?

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
It came back once in the last two months, but otherwise no.
Was it recently? I know people were reporting some anomalies when we did that server reset a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard of any other issues in quite some time.

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score

If you refresh but don't go to the next/new pages, then walk away again, the live update will add new posts to the bottom of the current page but the stuff on those next/new pages you didn't look at after your last refresh won't show up until you move forward in the thread. That might explain what you're experiencing.

Reactions: aveline

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Was it recently? I know people were reporting some anomalies when we did that server reset a couple weeks ago, but I haven't heard of any other issues in quite some time.
No, it was before that, I think.

Business Cat

Catipalist
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sorry for the really late reply. I'm not even sure how I missed this. The insert image button has always worked for me, so I'm not sure why it would be causing problems. But if you click the 'More Options...' button below the quick reply box, you'll see a Preview button.
No worries :) The image thing iirc was because I tried using the imgur link w/o the file extension - when I used the link with ext it posted fine.

And re: the preview thing, yeah, it's more me just wanting one click vs 2, like if the more options button had a hover menu instead or smth. Granted I could technically probably figure out how to make it do that myself but I thought it could be smth others might like :shrug:

:kitteh:

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
No worries :) The image thing iirc was because I tried using the imgur link w/o the file extension - when I used the link with ext it posted fine.

And re: the preview thing, yeah, it's more me just wanting one click vs 2, like if the more options button had a hover menu instead or smth. Granted I could technically probably figure out how to make it do that myself but I thought it could be smth others might like :shrug:

:kitteh:
Yeah, I agree that it can be annoying. It seems like when I use the preview, I often don't notice that someone beats me to posting whatever I'm trying to post. I don't believe there's any way to change that, built into the forum software.

I can take a look around, though, for any sort of addons that make the More Options button a little more efficient. Maybe there's something out there that I'm just not aware of.

Yuk

Reaction score
I apologize if this was asked about already, I searched for "draft" in the thread and no results came up.

I was wondering if there is a way to implement a feature to disable automatic draft saving of a post you've typed up or are in the process of typing, perhaps located under preferences. Deleting the text in the post creator box doesn't work because it will reappear grayed out if you refresh the page since it's a saved draft.

I've seen people run into problems of accidentally posting a half message they had typed before or a message they had typed up but decided to not post, including myself once or twice so far. Up to this point to circumvent this I've replaced the text with a "." to have the draft save that so it isn't such a problem if I send that in with a quick HIT export or whatever without checking to see if there's a fragment of a message left behind that I decided to not post. I know, I could just not be bad and double check before posting but I figured it was worth a shot requesting this feature.

Reactions: Jaded

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I apologize if this was asked about already, I searched for "draft" in the thread and no results came up.

I was wondering if there is a way to implement a feature to disable automatic draft saving of a post you've typed up or are in the process of typing, perhaps located under preferences. Deleting the text in the post creator box doesn't work because it will reappear grayed out if you refresh the page since it's a saved draft.

I've seen people run into problems of accidentally posting a half message they had typed before or a message they had typed up but decided to not post, including myself once or twice so far. Up to this point to circumvent this I've replaced the text with a "." to have the draft save that so it isn't such a problem if I send that in with a quick HIT export or whatever without checking to see if there's a fragment of a message left behind that I decided to not post. I know, I could just not be bad and double check before posting but I figured it was worth a shot requesting this feature.

IDK about disabling saving in the first place, but there is, if you click on the little SAVE icon (next to the undo and redo arrows), save draft and delete draft options.

I just found out about it the other day and a, yes, it is very useful. :cat:

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
aveline @aveline the alerts keep coming up way after the quoting replies get posted...

Hopefully you'll take care of this in four months.
Which alerts? The ones at the top of the page or the ones that show up on the tab title/favicon?

Also, about how long does it seem to be taking?

Reactions: Kerek

Kerek

Red Cat-Bear
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Which alerts? The ones at the top of the page or the ones that show up on the tab title/favicon?

Also, about how long does it seem to be taking?
Both. It's not every time, but it's up to a minute or two after the post gets quoted, but usually less. Enough time to respond to the response and still the original alert hasn't shown up. It's been happening for a week or so.

aveline

Administrator
Champion
Reaction score
Both. It's not every time, but it's up to a minute or two after the post gets quoted, but usually less. Enough time to respond to the response and still the original alert hasn't shown up. It's been happening for a week or so.
Hmm, that's strange. The favicon alerts should always take a bit because I set them to only check for alerts like every 30 seconds, to ease the load on the server. I'm not sure why the normal ones would take that long. I'll see if I can figure something out.

Reactions: Kerek and Jaded

Melly

Pew Pew!
Contributor
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
I know that with the server issue some things were messed up so I just want to make sure this is one of the issues. The forum is not displaying correctly in Chrome, but in FF it's OK. I'm not sure if something in my settings need to be changed or if this will work itself out eventually.

In Chrome everything is wonky

FF looks just like my chrome did before server issue.

Any help is appreciated :)