Disputing a rejected HIT: Have you ever done this?

Spicy Unagi

Let the pain begin.
Reaction score
I've current completed 807 HITs, but have 5 rejected HITs. The first 4 rejected HITs I admit were pretty big mess-ups (I was still pretty new to MTurk at the time), but the 5th rejection seems a bit petty to me (or maybe I'm being petty -- who knows).
:eyeroll:

It's one of those Scout It receipt HITs where you have to enter a business name, date, total, etc. I was rejected because I supposedly typed "TAGET" and not "TARGET". I'm a bit perplexed by that, since I tend to use the auto-populate drop-down of business names which appears when typing in that field. But to me, a rejection of that entire HIT seems a bit much. I can completely understand if I typed the wrong total or date, but it's not as though I was waaaaay off base from the business name. And I can't stand that an entire HIT which consists of more correct information (95%+) gets rejected due to one insignificant error. How is that fair? It's like saying you get an F for doing A-/A work; only A+ is allowed. It took that QC individual less than one second to type in a 'R', but it took me 3 minutes to finish one HIT. I'd rather them just take a cent off (the HITs are 5 cents) rather than throw away my entire work. :angry2:

The worse part is I can't even see the HIT that was rejected to defend myself. I just have to take this other person's word for it that I was incorrect.

I want to dispute this rejection. Has anyone ever disputed something this trivial? Any advice?

I've been working on Scout It HITs for a long time now and I try to be very careful, but this rejection set me off!

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
If you ever feel a rejection is unjust, it's completely within your right to contact the requester.

Here is a short guide with suggestions on how to go about it: http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/hit-rejection-how-to-get-it-reversed.96/

Otherwise I would advise to stay away from Scout It HITs. They are well known to reject HITs and there are far fairer requesters with better pay out there, even though they may be harder to come by.

I hope it gets worked out for you!

Spicy Unagi

Let the pain begin.
Reaction score
If you ever feel a rejection is unjust, it's completely within your right to contact the requester.

Here is a short guide with suggestions on how to go about it: http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/hit-rejection-how-to-get-it-reversed.96/

Otherwise I would advise to stay away from Scout It HITs. They are well known to reject HITs and there are far fairer requesters with better pay out there, even though they may be harder to come by.

I hope it gets worked out for you!
Thank you soooo much!!
I'm only doing Scout It jobs to grow my HITs to 1000. After then, I don't plan on doing much work with them, because the experience is way too dodgy. I wish I had better choices, but it's tough pickings for newbies. :(

MerryLou

unpalatable
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
Sole Survivor
Reaction score
Here are some more 'numbers' HITs - http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/pandas-to-keep-you-working-cheap-numbers-hits.155/

And just in case you aren't aware of this method - http://www.mturkcrowd.com/threads/how-to-auto-accept-hits-on-mturk-using-the-panda-method.2/

I'm sure you'd have no problem getting up to 1k with those HITs but just remember that a vast majority of requesters us a 98% or better qual on their HITs, so even just a few rejections more at this stage is really going to hurt your approved percentage.

Again, good luck :D

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
Thank you soooo much!!
I'm only doing Scout It jobs to grow my HITs to 1000. After then, I don't plan on doing much work with them, because the experience is way too dodgy. I wish I had better choices, but it's tough pickings for newbies. :(
Also, make sure you install turkopticon, either the extension through their website or the script on greasyfork. I check TO frequently for batch HITs, it's nice to have some context with your HITs if you're trying to find them on your own.

Spicy Unagi

Let the pain begin.
Reaction score
Also, make sure you install turkopticon, either the extension through their website or the script on greasyfork. I check TO frequently for batch HITs, it's nice to have some context with your HITs if you're trying to find them on your own.
I do have TurkOpticon. It's an extension for my Chrome.
I'm still trying to get used to MTurk jargon. When you say you frequently check TO for batch HITs, what does that mean? What are "batch HITs"?

Reactions: Tigerpants

Tigerpants

Murderer of Threads
Contributor
Reaction score
I do have TurkOpticon. It's an extension for my Chrome.
I'm still trying to get used to MTurk jargon. When you say you frequently check TO for batch HITs, what does that mean? What are "batch HITs"?
Batch Hits are Hits like scoutit, where you can do more then one HIT of that title/requester. The other type of HIT are Surveys, where you can only do it once and it's usually for marketing/research purposes, Like stanford or georgetown.

Spicy Unagi

Let the pain begin.
Reaction score
Batch Hits are Hits like scoutit, where you can do more then one HIT of that title/requester. The other type of HIT are Surveys, where you can only do it once and it's usually for marketing/research purposes, Like stanford or georgetown.
Ooooooohhhh! I get it now.
Thanks. :)

Reactions: Tigerpants

nerofmx

Reaction score
I always dispute them.

One guy said I entered in the wrong survey code. I told him to send me what I put in, and also what I was supposed to put in. Within 5 minutes, it was switched from rejected to approved.

Spicy Unagi

Let the pain begin.
Reaction score
I always dispute them.

One guy said I entered in the wrong survey code. I told him to send me what I put in, and also what I was supposed to put in. Within 5 minutes, it was switched from rejected to approved.
I honestly feel as though they're sometimes lying when my work is marked as rejected. Luckily, I've stopped doing ScoutIt HITs and have moved on to better things. I did contact them to dispute the last error, but I haven't heard back (which is no surprise since I never hear from them whenever I had a question in the past). I'll just accept my rejection and say adios. Lol

shoesue87

Contributor
Reaction score
I always dispute them.

same. I'm usually very picky choosing Hits because I'm afraid of rejections. Last time, I worked on a new requester and I got 3 rejections in a row. It was a penny batch too. I sent the requester a note and luckily it was reversed.

Reactions: Spicy Unagi