Crowdsurf hits bad or good?

pauljohax

Reaction score
Hello,

I started transcribing for Crowdsurf.
I worked on the hists for 3 to 4 minutes for just 0.07 cents. That was very bad pay for a lot of work.

But I thought i could speed it up. By training.
And I then discovered the hotkeys. I also got the experience now.

But still I have many troubles with Crowdsurf.

At least half of their hits get accepted in my queue but then say : No more tasks available.
very frustrating. And I get no reaction on my messages to crowd surf.

Does anyone try to contact them about this?

All this opening, disappointment, and returning cost time and energy.

Then, even though i am faster now, they have many hits with complex words, scientific words etc. This costs so much time to try and figure out what they say.
Or do you just leave that and gamble the words?

English is not my native language. I am Dutch, but my English is on a good high level.

i want to be able to transcribe in 1 minute. So i can make at least about 5 dollars an hour.
Is that really possible?

TSolo315

SnapNCrackle
Administrator
Reaction score
Most people agree that crowdsurf pays rather poorly and in my personal opinion they are shady in general. Do you live in the US? Do you have the location is US qual? If so, just doing surveys as they pop up is probably a much better option.

pauljohax

Reaction score
No unfortunately I live in both the Netherlands and Brazil.
This seems to be a big disadvantage on Mturk. almost 90% of hits i see posted are for US. espcially the survey

I am working a few months on Mturk. I had luck with a US requester that posted a lot of hits for the elections. These hits got me to about 5 dollar an hour.

i know Zoltars exist but Just as i wanted to start them now they have taken a break..

My goal this month is to make 15 dollar a day at least. If I mix everything up including crowdsurf i think I get there.But it is pretty hard this way;

DCI

Reaction score
P @pauljohax It's been a long time since I had any reason to contact them, but I've gotten replies from them before by emailing them at support@crowdsurfwork.com

Like most audio transcription work, the audio itself is as much of a factor in your wage as the pay for the task. Sometimes it would be easily possible to make your goal on these, and sometimes it would be almost impossible. If you want to just go nonstop all the time, I think it would be really hard to average as much as you want, but I do think it would be possible with enough practice.

Personally, I don't go crazy on these, but I also don't think they are worthless. I made a script that just skips through all the HITs so that I can listen to them while I'm doing other stuff and grab ones that sound easy. It only works in Firefox browsers though.

Reactions: coosa and Pleco

pauljohax

Reaction score
thank you for your reply. I understand. I will mail them for some info. I also think it is hard to get to a lot of work for them .Since as you say many hits are too hard to do. Too complex. Scientific etc.

Also, they have many hits that say: no more tasks available, but they do get accepted in my queue. Very frustrating time loss over and over again. often 5 or ten in a row!

Your script appears very good.

But how can I use that? I have installed tamper monkey and use scripts from there. But how do i use this code text? I know nothing about coding etc.

Another question : on what kind of hits do you focus? Do you focus on the receipes? I think they also pay too little to be worth it.

i was working on hits for the elections. batches searching fo rinfo on candidates.
This payed enough. I got to the 5 dollar an hour.
But that is over now.

Are there many batches possible for 5 dollars an hour? or am i chasing rare requesters that everybody wants?

DCI

Reaction score
thank you for your reply. I understand. I will mail them for some info. I also think it is hard to get to a lot of work for them .Since as you say many hits are too hard to do. Too complex. Scientific etc.

Also, they have many hits that say: no more tasks available, but they do get accepted in my queue. Very frustrating time loss over and over again. often 5 or ten in a row!

Your script appears very good.

But how can I use that? I have installed tamper monkey and use scripts from there. But how do i use this code text? I know nothing about coding etc.

Another question : on what kind of hits do you focus? Do you focus on the receipes? I think they also pay too little to be worth it.

i was working on hits for the elections. batches searching fo rinfo on candidates.
This payed enough. I got to the 5 dollar an hour.
But that is over now.

Are there many batches possible for 5 dollars an hour? or am i chasing rare requesters that everybody wants?
To use the script, all you have to do is make a bookmark for
Code:
https://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?groupId=3K3X4GGOSLN9WHITSDB41LMDI6SMCK&CrowdSurfer
and go there. It will play each HIT with a few seconds delay in between, and if you hear one that you want you can press F1 to accept it manually click the accept button. It will also automatically skip over ones that give you a task not available option. Just make sure that you are using Firefox, because it won't probably work properly in Chrome.

I've never focused on anything in particular. I just check to see what's available and grab ones that sound easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: coosa