Votes: 3 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
Well when something is curable and someone just doesn't do what needs to be done to cure it, that's one thing. But how much is actually "cureable" in modern medicine? Very little. I would :tinfoil: about the health insurance industry, but it's not like they're curing things in other countries and were just getting screwed lol.
I think i've said a lot more than i actually know anything about? But I've learned a few things: first there is a huge amount of truth behind what Blue said, also that medicine is a lot more of an art than a science than I'd ever realized (I had some naive idea a few years ago that things were much more black and white, cut and dry than they are. Diagnosing things, etc.) Also, modern medicine does accomplish some amazing things, i have a brother that does and always has done (sorry I feel like I'm having grammar issues) everything right health-wise, was diagnosed with a very fast-acting form of lymphoma a few years ago, went into remission, said if he ever got it back, he was told he couldn't survive it, forgot the reasons behind this exactly. He did get it back, less than five years later. It was also just after learning my mom had passed, i freaked out, I don't freak out, but i did this time. But there had been enough advancement in that time period, he's still around. And fixing my teeth. So I don't know, i'm sure I have a point in there somewhere. Hope you can find it and that it actually has something to do with what you aid :wink:

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, you sorta CAN cure stupid... it's just usually too late to do anything about it.
True... you can give someone a wakeup call... You can cure ignorance... which is probably the greater cause than just pure stupidity... but the old saying I'm familiar with is "can't cure stupid."

Reactions: Rerun

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's just leave it at this. No one pays researchers to find cures. They pay to find treatments. If you think that's not a conspiracy, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Vinella

Reaction score
did you know they have an app

its on ios

and also android
The app they advertise every hour? My phone isn't working right so until i get my new one I can't D/L the app. Why did u guys know about this? Am I posting useless info?

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
oh. there was a few posts i missed while writing my last one. ok i hmm.

Vinella

Reaction score
nah plug is down and I have nowhere else to release my energy so I'm being a dick on the forums
well now you can be a dick on plug. Its back up

Last edited:

Tandem In Time

Tandem in Space
Crowd Pleaser
Reaction score
Let's just leave it at this. No one pays researchers to find cures. They pay to find treatments. If you think that's not a conspiracy, then I have a bridge to sell you.
You are flat-out wrong. Here's a perfect, recent example of decades of research that resulted in a cure.
https://genomemedicine.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13073-015-0223-6

The reason why you are flat out wrong, but you think you are right, is that the "low-hanging fruit" of things that are relatively easy to treat and cure have already been picked over. What we biomedical researchers are left to solve are significantly far more complex disorders without clear-cut cures. In particular, I am studying the spontaneous development of antibiotic resistance in clinical bacteria and the bugs develop resistance faster than we can develop new drugs to treat them... so the cure is constantly just out of our reach.

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
Well, you sorta CAN cure stupid... it's just usually too late to do anything about it.
Last time i asked someone if I could put something they posted on a t-shirt, they said it was pretty much where they got it from, so anyway can I put this on a t-shirt?

Bode "Emo Barry" Miller

Unofficial Official
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score
Reactions: TotalBabe

Bode "Emo Barry" Miller

Unofficial Official
Contributor
HIT Poster
Reaction score

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
You are flat-out wrong. Here's a perfect, recent example of decades of research that resulted in a cure.

The reason why you are flat out wrong, but you think you are right, is that the "low-hanging fruit" of things that are relatively easy to treat and cure have already been picked over. What we biomedical researchers are left to solve are significantly far more complex disorders without clear-cut cures. In particular, I am studying the spontaneous development of antibiotic resistance in clinical bacteria and the bugs develop resistance faster than we can develop new drugs to treat them... so the cure is constantly just out of our reach.
aaand working in your spare time for Mturk? This is gonna be a fun night I can already see it.

Blue

Unlikeable Ass
Contributor
Reaction score

And then you add into that equation other variables like the fact that humans are not a one size fits all standard model... and medical diagnostics are as much an art and exercise of creativity as they are a non-linear path of abstract correlations... patients inability to accurately describe their own symptoms (if they even manage to notice them)... new technologies being pushed in other disciplines opening up new/better/novel avenues of progress in medicine...

T. Leela

Oh Lord...
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll tell you where you can put it...

:mooning:

Edit:
:eek:
lol ok well on that unexpected note i think i will be turning in now. :wink:
funny thing is, with my screwed up vision, it looked like a face with a surgical mask at first, I was a little bit off.

The Bad Ash

Not Goody Little 2 Shoes
Contributor
Reaction score
Please explain yourself with this one.
Which part? The part where you claim to be a "biomedical researcher" or the part where i said "This is gonna be a fun night I can already see it."?

Which one do you do in your "spare" time? The Mturk or the biomedical research?

Last edited:

Vanyanka

Thoroughbred of Sin
Contributor
Crowd Pleaser
HIT Poster
Reaction score
And oh! this humpy bastard of the sun

Status
Not open for further replies.